PDA

View Full Version : Dirty Plastic Hose!!

lkleung007
11-08-2002, 02:15 PM
Hi Gang;

I have a quick question for all of you who use plastic tubing to fill and empty tanks. I am currently using a water pump to fill my tank each day with clean water. I am using a 3/4 inch clear plastic tubing that attaches to the water pump which I purchased for Petwarehouse. Over the past 3 months, the clear plastic tubing is starting to build up on the inside with black "gunk" :(. This is concerns me. But why would this happen as I am only using it with the "clean water" in my holding tanks.

Is this bad for the Discus? Should I be concerned? If so, how should I go about cleaning it; the tubing is 50 feet long and may be difficult to clean due to its length.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Lester

Rick_May
11-08-2002, 02:27 PM
Lester,
I don't know if it will hurt your fish but I'm pretty sure that it won’t help. Here’s how I clean my python that gets the same thing. find an electrician supply store and buy what they call a 'mouse' its just a piece of foam that they attach a string to then use air pressure to run the mouse through conduit then they can pull the wires with the string. You could do the same thing, well backwards, run the strings then pull the mouse to clean out the tubing.

lkleung007
11-08-2002, 02:34 PM
Thanks Rick for the reply!!

Is this "mouse" pretty easy to find?? Is there a particular electrician supply store that you use or can this be found at like a Home Depot or Lowe's??

Regards, Lester

Paul
11-08-2002, 02:50 PM
It's mold. Probably won't hurt the fish. Mine has it too. I'm thinking that if you've got about 60 ft of hose, running a sponge through it will just smear the mold the whole length of your tubing. While I haven't found the need, another way you might consider removing it is by using a mild solution of bleach in a bucket and then using your python to siphon the mixture through the tubing. Follow that with a mixture of fresh water and something like Amquel or Prime. Should do the trick.

Paul

Rick_May
11-08-2002, 02:50 PM
havent looked for one in a few years so don't. I got mine from a wholesale place. you could make something simular if you cant find one. even tie a chunk of foam on the end of a string and use it.

DarkDiscus
11-08-2002, 03:14 PM
I soak mine in a strong bleach solution periodically to eliminate the gunk. It works fairly well.

John

mench
11-08-2002, 03:17 PM
Use a Plastic garbage can,new if ya can,fill it with water and bleach.Let it sit for a day or so then hook up a pump to one end and recerculate the water through the hose,let it run for a few hours.Rinse it real good and ya sould be ok.I do it all the time.

Mench

chuck
11-08-2002, 03:38 PM
Paul's correct it is mold. It's caused by the moisture traped inside the tube after the fill/drain.
I use bleach, I fill up a rubbermaid garbage can with bleach/water then soak the hose after soaking it I drain the bleach through the hose to empty the garbage can. then fill up the can again with clean water and redrain it through the hose to flush it out.
chuck

lkleung007
11-08-2002, 04:49 PM
Thanks Gang for all the great input!!

Mold!!!!!! Yuck!!!!!!

How much bleach should I use in my solution to clean the tubing out??

Regards, Lester

DarkDiscus
11-08-2002, 05:54 PM
10% solution works well for me. Soak, run the bleachwater through the tube, rinse and let dry. It's as good as new!

John

11-08-2002, 06:18 PM
Heres the email I got directly from Python..... John is correct... Works for me. :thumbsup:

Julz

There is nothing in the hose that will harm your fish however your concerns are understandable. Here are the instructions we give to our customers who are experiencing what you described. Please do not hesitate to contact us if have any questions.

No Spill Clean and Fill Cleaning Instructions

Important: Please read through these instructions carefully before beginning your cleaning.

After prolonged use of your No Spill Clean and Fill Aquarium Maintenance System, you may notice a buildup of black algae inside of your tubing. This algae is not harmful to your fish but can be cosmetically unappealing. If you wish, it may be safely removed by following the cleaning instructions below:

1. Hook up your No Spill as if you were going to clean your tank.

2. In a CLEAN bucket (that has been used for fish only - NEVER had any detergents in it), mix 1 part chlorine bleach to 3 parts water. Place the bucket with bleach mixture in it into your sink basin and position it directly underneath the pump assembly that is attached to your faucet.

3. Move the on/off switch to the open position and turn on your cold water. Place the gravel tube into the bucket with the bleach mixture. You will now be sucking and draining into the same bucket. As you suction the bleach mixture through the unit, it will drain back into the bucket in a diluted form.

4. When you have the tubing completely full of the bleach mixture, turn off your water at the sink and close the switch, holding the bleach solution in the tubing. Leave the unit sit for approximately 3-5 minutes.

5. Repeat step 3 and continue suction until the tubing appears clean. Turn off the water, dump and remove bucket.

6. Push up and turn the pump as if you would be filling your tank. Turn on your cold water and thoroughly flush the unit into sink drain for at least 5 minutes.

7. When done, reverse the flow on pump and drain out your unit as you are coiling it up. Put unit away in a cool, dry place that doesn't see sunlight (i.e., closet, in cabinet under aquarium).

Carol_Roberts
11-08-2002, 06:46 PM
I hate to admit it, but I don't bother trying to clean my hoses anymore. . . .
CArol :heart1:

Willie
11-09-2002, 04:48 PM
Carol speaketh the truth!

Willie

nalah
11-09-2002, 11:32 PM
i put mine outside or hang it in the bathroom to dry. also run bleach thru it...works gtreat.

mind you,i only have 2 tanks...as the load increases,i'll became like the others...dont clean them.LOL

lkleung007
11-09-2002, 11:36 PM
Hey Gang!!

Julz; great information on clean the hose :)

Willie and Carol; I don't feel like such a bad daddy after all. I will have my hands full when I try to clean the 50 feet of tubing!!!!!! :o

Regards, Lester

11-10-2002, 12:10 AM
I don't think it will kill your fish. I've been using the same one for over 15 years. It's as black as a black cat. My fish still spawn and fry didn't get sick. Why clean it?.

Jimmy.