PDA

View Full Version : sterilize filter?

discus_fan
11-08-2002, 07:54 PM
I have two outside filters,with two filters in each,and 2 sponge filters in 75g tank and would like to tear one outside filter down to clean and sterilize and put back on tank.I was thinking about using clorox,but am not sure on how to do this safely.If someone could explain the proper metod of doing this it would be a big help. thanx Will

Gizmo
11-08-2002, 08:47 PM
Mate, IMHO you could just use some chlorine, soak the filter and filter medium then just use a simple de – chlorinator the one you would use for water changes. You know just add however much you may need to a volume of water so as to rinse your filter and medium several times.

cheers Kos

Carol_Roberts
11-08-2002, 08:57 PM
Another method is isopropyl alcohol (regular rubbing alcohol) to wipe down the hard plastice parts of the filter and microwave the wet sponges for a couple of minutes.

Clean filter box thouroughly with warm water. Wipe down with alcohol. Allow alcohol to dry and rinse again. Rinse microwaved sponges thouroughly with cool water.

Carol :heart1:

blackghost
08-30-2003, 10:51 AM
Yes the microwave will kill all bacteria you can also microwave ure eheim or other substrate safely.
i even microwave my driftwood or bogwood while complete cleanup.