PDA

View Full Version : Black Discus...and it's not a new color strain...Help!!!

samcatj
11-09-2002, 05:25 AM
Any information on how to get a discus that has turned black and been that way for the past month to turn back to its original colors?? He is in a very large tank with 10 other med. size discus. Diet consists of bloodworms, shrimp and Whatley's beefheart. He eats well and looking at his outward appearance he does not seem to be sick.
Thanks in advance for your response.

Samcatj

saints27
11-09-2002, 06:19 AM
I have one the same, he eats doesnt have any visible signs of sickness ,I just put it down to the fact that he is a bad fish!
I dont know wether he gets picked on and I thought of moving him to another tank but Ive just let him be.
Sorry I cant really help but thought id share my experiences with you .

Jamie

Jeffery_Doty
11-09-2002, 02:26 PM
Hello,

It sounds like this discus is under some stress from something. Is he getting picked on? He could have a parasite problem or bacterial issue. The best way to handle him is to move him to a separate hospital tank and treat him there. If you can. Otherwise, I am afraid the constant stress will eventually take it's toll on him and he will go down hill.

Do you have a separate tank you can treat him in?

Jeff
Oregon

EthanCote.com
11-09-2002, 04:46 PM
The only suggestion I can think off hand is to try and add 2 tablespoon / 10 galon of aquarium salt.

Salt normally helps with stress.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Chi.

rfidiscus
11-10-2002, 12:18 AM
I am going to guess and say that since you have 10 fish in this tank this dark one is just stressed. Try rearranging the tank... move stuff to creat new terratoies for everyone. Also you may want to kick your temp up to 88 or 90 for a week or so... as this will increase all of there metabolisms. I have a tank of blue diamond snakes that one of the fish was jet black. It appeared that this fish was low on the totem pole... I moved this fish to another tank and within an hour it was solid blue again. Rember that medications can be really hard on discus, so don't every use them unless you are sure you need to.
TLM

11-10-2002, 02:14 PM
Sam,
What are the para. of your water? Has anything changed, i.e., PH, ammonia, etc.? What is the temp.?
You will be surprised how just the PH flickering can trigger some fish.

Miles

brewmaster15
11-10-2002, 03:28 PM
HI,
I'd pull that fish and place it in Hospitol tank to observe and possibly treat. Its definetly a sign of stress, the question is whats causing it?

Check your nitrates.

-al

discusdaves
07-14-2010, 01:15 PM
I have had similar experiences within my tanks, its unusual, this may be just a coincidence, but in my one show tank I was keeping a 7+in high fin blue diamond (beautiful fish) he ruled the tank, but one day he just turned black??? No changes or anything. Only conclusion I came up with was another male in the tank had become sexually mature, and my big blue guy wasn’t the alpha male any more. I the big blue diamond to another tank and he sparked back to his beautiful blue in a matter of minutes. Shortly after, the other male appeared and spawned in my show tank!!

Discus master
07-16-2010, 10:49 AM
yeah I would move him to a hosp tank but do not treat rite away see if he imrpoves on his own after a day or so if he does then you know it was the stress, was he added last or a latter additon or something like this? Has he been in the with the others for a long time it could be that he is just stressed if his cooor comes back in a hossp tank then you need to find the reason for the stress and try to remidy it and if his colors are stil dark than it could be an internal thing seeing how you do not notice anything on the outside. If it is an internal thing if left un treated I would think that eventually it will effect his outward appearnce in one way or another and if its just stress under stress like that 24 7 will make him more suseptible to getting an illness. there are so many varibles you just need to start to eliminate them one by one starting with the easiest and most obvious for me that would be to move him to a hosp tank and observe step 1 and post back let us know what happens and go from there. make sense?

DiscusOnly
07-16-2010, 12:19 PM
yeah I would move him to a hosp tank but do not treat rite away see if he imrpoves on his own after a day or so if he does then you know it was the stress, was he added last or a latter additon or something like this? Has he been in the with the others for a long time it could be that he is just stressed if his cooor comes back in a hossp tank then you need to find the reason for the stress and try to remidy it and if his colors are stil dark than it could be an internal thing seeing how you do not notice anything on the outside. If it is an internal thing if left un treated I would think that eventually it will effect his outward appearnce in one way or another and if its just stress under stress like that 24 7 will make him more suseptible to getting an illness. there are so many varibles you just need to start to eliminate them one by one starting with the easiest and most obvious for me that would be to move him to a hosp tank and observe step 1 and post back let us know what happens and go from there. make sense?

This thread is almost 8 years old. :D

rickztahone
07-16-2010, 12:33 PM

out of all the forums i've ever been on this has to be the oldest resurrection ever! LMAO, way to go!

Discus master
07-16-2010, 12:39 PM

why did it re surface i wonder??????????:mad:

rickztahone
07-16-2010, 12:53 PM
why did it re surface i wonder??????????:mad:

well it might be a good thing, means that some people might actually be using the search function :D

DiscusKev
07-16-2010, 01:02 PM
well it might be a good thing, means that some people might actually be using the search function :D

Yup, but I would say starting their own topic would be better (as that original poster may no longer be an active member to share their experience).

Discus master
07-16-2010, 01:52 PM
I thought after a certain amount of time has passed in regards to old threads the post was locked out in terms of being bale to post new posts the thread it slef could be re read but no new posts were able to be made? oh well whatever if someone got something out of it I guess it was all worth it rite? lolol

Tito
07-16-2010, 03:10 PM
I think this is historical and I just want my name attached to this thread.

Hoorah. Oh - I have a blue diamond he's blue and he turned dark once. (to make it official ya know.)