PDA

View Full Version : Rise in PH

liz
11-09-2002, 08:08 PM
Hello I was testing my water this evening and the PH has risen from 7 to 7-4 in the past few days.Is this a problem and if it is how would I lower it.

korbi_doc
11-09-2002, 09:27 PM
:bounce2: :bounce2: Not a problem yet, keep it stable. Do you age & aerate your water before adding to tank? Dottie ;D

Steve_Warner
11-09-2002, 11:40 PM
Hi all,
Liz, are you talking about the water in your tank, tap, aging tank? If it is the tank, what is in it(gravel,rocks)?

Steve

rfidiscus
11-09-2002, 11:52 PM
Liz, I have found that live plants and driftwood help keep the pH down. You can also use peatmoss in a filter or contained in old panty hose. What is your source waters pH? And as suggested earlier, what else is in your tank? Any type of calcium/lime based rock can cause this pH swing. The main thing to remember is don't change the pH to rapidly or your discus will go belly up.
TLM

liz
11-10-2002, 06:01 AM
Good morning Folks.Sorry I went into a bit of a panic last night.When I did the test last night I had not long done a water change.I tested the tank again this morning and its back down to 7.Tested the tap water is is 7.4.Does this make sense.The tank is BB I have a few real plants in a pot also a large artificial one.Besides the Ph problem the fish are doing really well thats me had them now for over a week

rfidiscus
11-10-2002, 11:31 PM
As long as the pH remains stabile7.0 is fine for them. More for breeding purposes to keep it low... besides ammonia to ammonium

Carol_Roberts
11-11-2002, 12:46 AM
Most folks find the pH is lower from the tap and raises after off gassing of CO2. However, some water comes from the tap higher in pH and lowers after aeration.
Carol :heart1: