PDA

View Full Version : Discus Age ??

saints27
11-10-2002, 07:25 PM
What day do you count as the Discus's birthday is it from the day that they hatch into wrigglers or the day that they start to free swim ?
Just curious as there are roughly 6-7 days in between the two stages .

Jamie

April
11-10-2002, 07:33 PM
good question....hmmmm....or....from egg?

Lynn
11-10-2002, 09:04 PM
I'd say from the day they hatch.

Willie
11-10-2002, 09:28 PM
When you're trying to figure out when to feed bbs and when to separate from the parents, most breeders count from the day they become free swimming. If you're trying to figure out when to have the surprise party, well, that's your call. ;)

Willie

rfidiscus
11-10-2002, 11:19 PM
I go from the day they hatch. For bbs it is usually 2 days after freeswimming. I usually move them 2-3 days after they start eating the pellet food that is being fed to there parents... around 2 weeks old.

saints27
11-11-2002, 04:05 AM
Thanks guys and girls I thought it would be from when they hatched but ive seen posts that say 4 day old fry and they are free swimming and I thought that cant be right .
I actually like the idea of starting to count the days from when they start to free swim .

Jamie

Per
11-13-2002, 08:23 AM
In scientific literature one usually uses point of fertilization as age reference in fish, probably because it is so easy to define. Because development from this point is very temperature dependent, age is often measured as day degrees (do; days multiplied with mean temperature in centigrades).

Example: Treatment of fish larvae was started 120 do pf (post fertilization).

Per