PDA

View Full Version : Discus auction

brewmaster15
11-11-2002, 02:20 PM
Hi all,
I have been approached by several breeders interested in donating fish to this site for use in auctions. The proceeds will go to offset the site costs. I'm not sure how the details will all unfold yet, but is this something you would be interested in?

It will depend on who is donating the fish, as to where they will be able to ship. I am assuming most can ship to the USA, some to canada, and I would love to get some international breeders involved.

I was Thinking of trying a small demo-run. I am not a breeder,but I can ship FEDX-USA. I would try to chose top quality fish, (or at least Fish I would like myself). I was thinking of putting up 6 of my fry from a wild GreenXsnakeskin cross. 3 would be snakes, 3 would be non-snakeskins. I have a pretty good idea what they will grow up to look like. Though they are F1 and so very variable in pattern. Currently they are close to 2 inches. I may even count the six out like Cary Does... which would mean there could be 7 or more! ;)
I am pretty sure I can ship them for under $50.00 FEDX, which would be where the bid would start. It would be an open bid, with posts made right in the thread, and would run for a specific time , maybe a week?

any ideas here?

-al

BLUEKNIGHT
11-11-2002, 02:32 PM
I would be really interestes. It would be a nice way to get quality discus and proabably wont even have to worry about getting burned.

DarkDiscus
11-11-2002, 02:47 PM
Al,

It sounds like a good idea to me. Definitely a good way to make some happy customers for the breeders and to help fund the board.

John

EthanCote.com
11-11-2002, 03:15 PM
It does sounds like a super idea to generate revenue for Simply.

The only thing I see that could be a problem is shipping. I'm sure there a tonnes of Simply members breeding their fish and prolly have more than they know what to do with them and would like nothing more than to put them up for auction. The problem then comes to inexperience shipping method and such since I'm sure it will be a first time for many to try shipping.

I suggest if this auction is to take place on Simply, perhaps have a section where it describe:
- how to safely ship the fish
- how to safely adjust newly acquired fish to your tank
- a bit of info on the various air shippment company available (ie. their tracking method, which zone they will drop ship, cost, guarantees, etc...)

Just a thot.

Cheers,

Chi.

aloha_discus
11-11-2002, 03:17 PM
Aloha Brew, I would be interested in adding more quality discus to my 15 different strains. I continually look forward to reading yours and all others posts. This site and a special friend (Southside)have peaked my interest in not only the keeping of discus but also the breeding aspect of this hobby.

So much MAHALO, Ike & Anne ;D

mutfish
11-11-2002, 04:20 PM
Giddy up :D

Jeffery_Doty
11-11-2002, 04:24 PM
Brew,

Excellent idea! A great way to off-set the cost of running Simply, and provide an exciting feature for us addicts!

Ok, when do we start bidding!

Jeff
Oregon

Carol_Roberts
11-11-2002, 06:57 PM
Sounds like fun to me. Let's try it! :thumbsup:

Carol :heart1:

April
11-11-2002, 07:01 PM
yeppers....sounds great.
if i ever become inundated with fry....i will offer some for shipping in canada. but dont hold your breath! LOL.

saints27
11-11-2002, 07:04 PM
Good idea
How about breeders from different countries just auctioning their fish to people in the same country this will ease the burden of shipping oversea's allthough I would love some of those discus from the USA.
Just a thought .
You will have to give me a couple of months to get these free swimmers to a shipable size .

Jamie

fcdiscus
11-11-2002, 07:18 PM
OK, I am ready! Where do I place my bid! ;D Frank

Liz_Streithorst
11-11-2002, 07:53 PM
GREAT IDEA!! I can't wait. Isn't this just the greatest site on the web? ;D

darcy
11-11-2002, 08:02 PM
Sounds good to me also Al!!! Let the bidding begin!!

Oh by the way will you state on the auction if the fish can be shipped to Canada or the US or wherever? No point in people bidding on fish they can't have shipped, only to be bumpimg up the price that some one else has to swallow.

Darcy

11-11-2002, 08:41 PM
Al,
Good idea. When you do FEDEX, it will have to go priorty overnight. And it should be fine.

Miles

Denny
11-11-2002, 08:44 PM
will this be fish only or will you be looking for other donations?

denny

Ryan
11-11-2002, 09:04 PM
Al, do you want me to look for some really basic auction software? Or do you think the posting will work? Maybe we need to set up a special board within the forum for auctions? Also, we'll have to specify an end date/time and lock the thread when we're finished. Those last-minute bidders whose clocks are slightly off may get mad if we lock before they place their bid? Hmmmm... hehehe.. I know, I think too much. We'll iron it all out.

Hey, is anyone interested in angel fry? I don't have discus to auction but I may have some angels real soon.

Ryan

dm
11-11-2002, 11:24 PM
WAIT!!!

I have to get another tank first!
I'll be right back! ;)

RandalB
11-11-2002, 11:47 PM
AL, I could throw some R/O stuff, TDS meters, prefilters, etc your way on the donation tip. If you don't want to stick to Fish. A little cheaper to ship too. ;D

RandalB

Al_M.
11-11-2002, 11:52 PM
Bring it on, who couldn't use more fish :D
Al M.
P.S. the sooner the better.

roger
11-12-2002, 12:34 AM
Hey Brew

I think its a great idea though I dont think it is anything that can be sustained.

There are probably way to many people with way to many fish vs people needing fish. IMO if you try to run this everyday your going to run into problems. Would it work out to hold the auction once a month or every other month. That way you give buyers time to get fish in and out of qt and sellers time to advertise (say a sticky post a week or two before the auction starts.

I would also think that given a little time you should be able to use one of the canned auction scripts to run this as well.

brewmaster15
11-12-2002, 11:05 AM
Hi all,
thanks for The feedback!

Ryan- maybe we should look into auction software? Another something for us to IM back and forth on I guess. In the mean while lets try this with just posts.

I don't see any reason to limit it to fish. Anything that people want to donate to an auction should be fine. We may even have some really nice informational Discus CD's that were generously given to us by a member as prizes. Carol could you email and check if we can put them for auction?

I think we could schedule these things as fish and supplies are donated. The last thing I want is a minature aquabid. Simple is better! :)

If are going to donate something. Let me know what it is, where you think you can ship to , and roughly what you think its worth. A picture would be great as well.

I need to see if I can drum up some equipment donations from various manufacturers and Suppliers, but I have a few additional items That may be of auction interest. If anyone has any good contacts and wants to mention this auction to them, it may generate them so good advertizing.

At this point I can only ship to the USA by FedX. I have done it several times and so far had no probelms with either fry or adults.

-al

shootingstar
11-12-2002, 04:56 PM
what happens if we are running out of donations, I mean not enough people to donate........can the someone sell something and donate half of it or just a portion of it to the BOARD ? just IMO.

brewmaster15
11-12-2002, 05:03 PM
Hi shootingstar,

can the someone sell something and donate half of it or just a portion of it to the BOARD ? just IMO.

see this link...
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=8;action=display;threadid=3427

thanks,
al

as for running out of things to auction... shouldn't be a problem. I know at least one source with asurplus of wildsX dom crosses, and I'm real good at begging breeders/suppliers for help.... I think we will have more enough things to auction, to keep it fun, but not get crazy. I have it from a very reliable source that Ryan is already looking into auction software!

RandalB
11-12-2002, 07:24 PM
AL.
Let me know where and when you want me to send some stuff. I can't afford to send cash donations but I can sure send some nice R/O equipment your way. ;D

RandalB

Carol_Roberts
11-12-2002, 08:35 PM
I'll e-mail Karl tonight. I doubt he will object. This is a really neat VCD of Wayne's Discus with English subtitles.
Carol :heart1: