PDA

View Full Version : Hazardous to your health

Dennis_Hardenburge
11-11-2002, 05:18 PM
I have never feed blood worms, but I had a shipment coming in of wild fish straight from South America so I ordered some Hikari blood worms.
The fish started to eat them with in hours of being put in to the tank.
The first day of feeding them my face started to break out in a rash, and by the third day feeding them I would break out in a rash and have some chest pain and could not stand to be in the same room as the aquarium even after doing a 50% water change.
WHAT IN THE HECK is in them that can cause such an allergic reation.
Yes I have heard of other people haveing a reation to them.
But this is so severe that I will break out in a rash on my face if I even open the freezer where they are stored.
Fortunately I have a friend that is going to buy them from me, and the fish are starting to eat other foods.
Dennis

chuck
11-11-2002, 05:23 PM
Sorry to hear about your reaction, But it might make you feel better to know that your not alone I read a few posts on the forums from other people who have the same problem...
Maybe you can obtain one of those chemical warfare body suits the army uses... ;D ;) :P

chuck

DarkDiscus
11-11-2002, 05:35 PM
Yikes. That's a pretty bad reaction! No bloodworms for you, Dennis!

Have someone come in and sterilize all contaminated areas!

John

fcdiscus
11-11-2002, 07:27 PM
Hey Dennis, I have an allergic reaction to them also, but not anywhere near as severe as yours. Once, some got into a small cut on my finger, and the finger swelled up and felt like it was broken for about 6 hours. Maybe you should try some CBW's. ;)-JUST KIDDING-Frank

Willie
11-11-2002, 08:20 PM
Dennis;

You shouldn't be eating those red worms anyway. They're really meant for the discus. :D :D :D :D

Willie

11-11-2002, 08:39 PM
Dennis,
Sure sorry to hear that you and Red Worms do not get along. They are a good food along with Black Worms.
Hope you ae feeling better.

Miles

Ryan
11-11-2002, 09:01 PM
Dennis, I too have a reaction to bloodworms, though less severe. I originally thought maybe it was something in the Hikari brand, but I have used two other brands since then and I have the same reaction with them. I have to wash my hands immediately after I feed or my face starts itching and my eyes burn like crazy.

Ryan

Dennis_Hardenburge
11-11-2002, 09:14 PM
Ryan
I did forget to mention the eyes burning.
Wonder what the substance that causes the problem could be.
Dennis

April
11-11-2002, 09:18 PM
mine is also getting quite bad, i made the mistake awhile ago of handling the package then putting some food in my mouth without thinking. my throat got all sore.and i got all wheezy. i was told by Jimmy not to use them anymore.as soon it can get to the point where you cant breathe. same as bees.
heard one person passed out even going in a lfs where they had been used.
brew said different species ...used by different companies. and perhaps Hikari species is the worst. he is also allergic to them.

11-12-2002, 02:45 AM
In places where bloodworms grow allergy is very common, even to the point where people down wind from ponds containing the bloodworms have reactions.

Mike_T
11-12-2002, 10:16 AM
I also experience burning and itching in my eyes, so i try and wash my hands very well right after feeding. I thought it was just me...

Mike T 8)

brewmaster15
11-12-2002, 10:19 AM
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=2521

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=2526

Dennis,
You are definetly not alone!! 25 % (10/40) of the members that responded to a poll here were allergic!

Be careful. The allergen, does not wash off the hands easy, and the even worms sucked up by the filter can cause it.

-al

jim_shedden
11-12-2002, 10:33 AM
I too have problems with these. Last week I took a package over to a lab (Inco Mines) and a freind of mine is going to tell me what is in them. Interestingly, he called me yesterday and told me that he called the company requesting an msds sheet and they said "sorry, we do not require one". As soon as I find out about their contents I will pass it along.

Jim

Dennis_Hardenburge
11-12-2002, 01:19 PM
Thanks Jim
I would be nice to know the substance that causes the problem.
April
Funny you mention bees, I am very very allergic to bee stings, the last one that got me almost killed me, I carry a kit with syringes to treat myself on the way to the hospital.
Dennis

brewmaster15
11-12-2002, 01:44 PM
Hi Jim....

Found the chemical responsible...

A bloodworm (a larval midge of the genus Chrionomus) "is little more than a slightly impure preparation of erythro cruorin – it’s there in gigantic amounts," he continues. Why erythrocruorin should provoke such a response no one seems to know.

Bruce Turner offered a possible explanation for the allergic reactions."The allergen in the bloodworms is probably the red hemoglobin-like protein that gives them their characteristic color," he says. This protein, erythrocruorin, is also found in many other invertebrates, including annelid worms and molluscs. "If I had such an allergy," Bruce suggests, "I’d stay away from worms too."

Info from:
http://www.intellweb.com/gcka/bloodworms2.htm

Checked into the molecule.. erythrocruorin

its basically the hemoglobin for insect blood.

also ...found a great article on bloodworms....http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Science/SWCS/ZOOBENTH/PRIMER1/chironom.doc

take care,
al

and from Tad here....

http://www.diagnostics.nu/AllergySite/showInfo.asp?pageID=448
http://revista.seaic.es/junio99e/140-145.pdf

I was able to find a couple of interesting sites for your review. As for those who are experiencing allergies from the blood worms your symptoms are quite acute and you should take extreme precaution in handling this food product. I know that If I was experiencing what some of you are I would halt use of this food. Allergic reactions can lead to anaphylatic shock. Uticaria (hives) and difficulty breathing are some of the signs. Anaphylatic shock can lead to respiratory arrest resulting in cardiac arrest.. Adrenaline is usually the drug of choice and can only be administered by ALS medics or in an emergency room. Please be careful.

Tad

Dennis_Hardenburge
11-12-2002, 04:23 PM
Thanks Al
I don't think I need to be told not to use them again.
Adrenaline is also what is in my bee sting kit and besides the four injections I gave my self on the way to the hospital they had to give me fourteen more injections the last time I was stung.
I don't think I want to go through that just to feed my fish.
Dennis

April
11-12-2002, 06:34 PM
wow Dennis...not good. yeah no more bloodworms for you.
i still use them on emergency when my blackworms run out..but after feeling my throat burn and started wheezing..i am not as inclined.

11-12-2002, 11:04 PM
Lucky for me. Only my fingers itching when handling them.