PDA

View Full Version : Eggs in Community Tank

LarryDinNC
11-11-2002, 07:25 PM
My pair of Blue SS's have spawned for the 6th time. Each previous time they ate the eggs. At this point, (48 hrs since spawn) at least half the eggs remain. Mixture of black and pink eggs with a couple of white eggs mixed in. The pair appear to be trying to eat the white eggs.

I have two smaller discus in the tank. The parents are keeping the other fish away from the eggs.

When might I expect wigglers? When the wigglers hatch, should I remove the other fish? If not then, when?

Should I continue WC's? Any different water params recommended for wigglers and fry?

Carol_Roberts
11-11-2002, 07:45 PM
You should get wiglers after 55 hours or so. Fry are delicate keep water parameters the same and do small water changes. I'd remove the other tankmates yesterday.
Carol :heart1:

LarryDinNC
11-11-2002, 11:34 PM
Thanks Carol!
Just moved other fish. Hoping to see wigglers in the morning. :)

LarryDinNC
11-12-2002, 07:32 AM
;D I've got a few wigglers this morning. This is a first for me and my pair. The parents are trying to keep them on the pot but in spite of the parents efforts a few have fallen off into the gravel surrounding the pot. Do those still have a chance to make it to free swimmers or is it critical they remain on the pot?

I certainly see one of the advantages of breeding in a BB tank.

EthanCote.com
11-12-2002, 02:07 PM
Those that fell to the gravel will most likely not survive, since they lack the continous oxygen supply (normally provided by the parent fanning).

Having said that, if your pair are great parents, they should be picking them wigglers that have strayed and place them back on the pot.

But hang in there, the parents are still rather young and still have alot to learn. Looks like they are doing something right so far ;D

Congrats on the wigglers.

Cheers,

Chi.

LarryDinNC
11-12-2002, 10:13 PM
:( No more wigglers, at least that I can see. But on the bright side, I know I've got a fertile pair and they spawn every six days. Each time they are getting better at it. :)

Carol_Roberts
11-12-2002, 10:35 PM
Too bad none made it :'( Better get that bare bottom set up for next week.
Carol :heart1:

stewarts_inc
11-17-2002, 06:49 AM
hey all :D
congrats on the fertile pair! im sure when u set up ur bb tank u will be more succesfull. just make sure also u dont have any were else were wrigglers could get lost. like ur filter .make sure u turn it down so the current isnt strong enough to suck them in...good luck

Kevin
11-28-2002, 03:11 PM
Yesterday I noticed eggs on the intake tube of a filter. Today they hatched. Must have missed them for a day or so. Anyway, there are a bunch of discus tetras and a couple of big tiger loaches, so I pulled the fry and put them in with some Blue diamonds that hatched yesterday. I took the pair down to the breeding room. Now to see if they will do it again. The water in that 150 is hardness of around 360 and ph at 7.4, so I was suprised that they were even fertile. I will let you know if anything happens. K.