PDA

View Full Version : bison heart

DiscoDoc
11-12-2002, 04:58 PM
I am a new poster and after a long hiatus am back to keeping discus. I presently feed frozen blood worms and CBW but would like to add heart to the mix. Living in Colorado I eat a fair amount of buffalo. This meat has significantly less fat that beef or turkey and has 30% more protein. It can alo be obtained from organically-fed animals without hormone additives. I plan to make some of this and will keep you posted the results.
Doc

EthanCote.com
11-12-2002, 05:17 PM
Wot will dey tink of next?

Look doc, its Wabbit season ;)

Welcome to the board Doc. And do keep us posted.

Cheers,

Chi.

brewmaster15
11-12-2002, 05:19 PM
Hi Doc,
Welcome back to the fold! They leave , but always return! :)

Welcome also to our forum. What kinda DOC are you?

Sounds like a good choice of heart meat. Please keep us posted!

-al

ps... send me buffalo meat.....MMMMM MMMM good! :)

Jeff
11-12-2002, 06:39 PM
Doc,

Very interesting. I recently came back from Colorado and was also considering the same thing. Whare are you getting yours from? Let me know how it goes.

Jeff

DiscoDoc
11-13-2002, 12:11 PM
Jeff,

I have placed an order with Sayers brook ranch (web site
www.americangourmet.com). They sell bison heart for $2.50/lb. with most hearts weighing 2-3 lbs. Availability is
limited to days when animals are harvested. I don't know how this compares with beef heart. I will keep you posted when I receive my order.

DOC

Jeff
11-13-2002, 12:26 PM
Doc,

Are you sure that link is correct? I didn't see any meat.

DiscoDoc
11-13-2002, 02:37 PM
Jeff,

Sorry about that . The link is www.americangourmet.net.

Doc

bmrin1
11-14-2002, 07:06 AM
I have myself recently tried game meat for my heart recipe. I used some of last years venison. It was a roast instead of heart and I think that the discus like it better than the beef heart. I don't think that I will ever go back to beef again.
Brian

discusfish
11-17-2002, 09:10 PM
Hi DiscoDoc!

I am a new member from Colorrado too, but I just recently "also" got back into Discus again after 3 years. I Just bought two 4 inch wild discus. I just had them for about a day. Been feeding them live worms for now and they seem like they are eating up! Please let me know how the bison heart goes.

Where are you located in CO? I am in Aurora

Chris

DiscoDoc
11-18-2002, 12:39 AM
Hi Chris,
Welcome back to the fold. I live in Pueblo and our water her is very hard. I mix it with R/O water for water changes. I received a shipment of bison meat last week. The hearts will be sent this week but the filets were awesome!
Doc

discusfish
11-21-2002, 12:36 PM
Hi Doc, sorry for the late response!

Yeah I bet Pueblo has some really hard water and with the drought going on, it's just that much worse. My neighbor across the street has been using distilled water for 5 years with the same fish and they been just fine. Have you got your shipment of beef hearts for the fish yet?

lwarctic
11-22-2002, 01:03 AM
Just curious if anyone has tried bison. They butcher bison about 3 miles from my home and I called the other day to see if they had any heart. They told me I could have as many as I want for .95 cents a pound.

Kevin
01-30-2003, 03:28 PM
Bison/ buffalo heart. I buy it at c&g packing in colorado springs for the same price as the beef heart (45 cents) per pound. Out here in the west we call animal innards "ofal" don't know what that meens other than it is the part most people won't eat. I got sixty pounds of mixed heart the other day and used half. It keeps well in the deep freeze. Along with the usual heart mix additives I tried honey, the fish like it alot. Better than banana which I was out of anyway. There is a store out here they call Harbor Freight. They sell a nice electric meat grinder for only twenty dollars. I am also not one for grinding with an old fashoned grinder, and after burning up three blenders and a couple of food processers I tried one of those. Now we are all happy that I am not trashing electrical appliances. However I have been useing a small blender type thing to grind dry ingreidents and it is now falling apart. I have it hidden up on he top shelve and deny any knowledge of it's existance. Hope you all can get the animal heart direct from a packing house and save your money for fish and replacement gadgets. K.