PDA

View Full Version : Pleco's bothering discus?

djallor
11-13-2002, 09:00 PM
I have 2 small plecos in my tank that just started to chase the discus and apparently try to eat off the sides and fins of the fish? will this harm the discus? what could they be after? ??? ??? ???

Ivan
11-13-2002, 09:13 PM
Hi, Discus slime is very tasty, to a fish that is!!
Keep an eye on the suckers, they may not be harming them, but if they do get ready to whip 'em out.
Ivan

Ralph
11-13-2002, 09:15 PM
Welcome to the board.

They are after the apparently delicious slime coat on your discus. Some plecos do it and some don't. But they are stressing out your discus and could cause sores. You will probably have to move them to another tank. (My son has oscars and when they bother each other, he catches the offender in a small net and leaves it suspended in the tank, still in the net. for fifteen minutes or so, then releases it. This punishment seems to work and his oscars actually get along.) Plus the plecos are nocturnal and active when the discus are "sleeping." There are other fish that can clean your tank such as cories, otos, etc.
Good question.

OEG
11-13-2002, 10:23 PM
Get them out of there and dont risk your fish. I had a plec eat the majority of my fishs fins. I would recommend you dont wait and see.
Oscar

11-13-2002, 10:56 PM
Pleco gotta go!

SoloDiscus
11-15-2002, 03:19 PM
Im not sure what kind of pleco you have if its the common ones that get quite large or not? I have had great luck, knock on wood, with clown plecos and a bristlenose in my tank. Just wanted to add my 2 cents

Don_Lee
11-15-2002, 03:49 PM
Welcome to the board! Sorry to hear of your problems with the plecs, I would remove them immediately. I have had no such problems with the bristlenose plecs I have been keeping with my discus, and they are good little refuse eaters.

Don ;D

11-15-2002, 04:01 PM
Yes... Welcome to Simply... Djallor.. :wave:

Not to mention all the secondary nasties they could cause. I too would remove right away....

Check out slicksta's post regarding his trouble. http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=4079;sta rt=0
There are alternatives, but I personally think Discus are best kept alone.

jme
Julz

Ivan
11-15-2002, 04:13 PM
Forgot to mention that certain plecos get big and grumpy. i've suffered no ptobs with Bristlenose, or ottos. But then again some peoples bristles and ottos do attach themselves to Discus. here is my albino Bristlenose.

DarkDiscus
11-15-2002, 04:50 PM
At Wattley's hatchery last May I saw what remained of some really nice discus after a big pleco got through with them.

They can suck off slime and scales and really make your fish ugly! Some had major fin damage.

Get rid of the plecos!

John

EthanCote.com
11-15-2002, 05:29 PM
Off with his head I say....errr okay perhaps not to that extreme.

But u got the pt ;D (I'll definitely remove him.)

Cheers,

Chi.