PDA

View Full Version : WATER RESTRICTIONS

nalah
11-14-2002, 02:32 AM
bad news for fishes around NSW.

Sydney joins Melbourne in water restrictions. ...
They are saying its the worst draught in 100 years.

Things are pretty bad for farmers- friend of mine on a sheep/cattle property, have already spents hundreds of thousands of $$ on feed. They will soon start shooting their livestock if situation continues.

dm
11-14-2002, 07:47 PM
That is sad. I hope things improve soon. It seems like this year has been bad all over. Maybe next year things will be back to normal.

korbi_doc
11-15-2002, 09:48 AM
:( :( :( Oh Pascale, this is a very sad scary time indeed. I'm afraid that there is more to come, but keep hoping/praying that things will get better. Let us all pray for better things to come. Whatever does one do about these fish under these circumstances? Is there any way to retreat the water for re-use? Our thoughts are with you. Dottie :'(

nalah
11-15-2002, 08:50 PM
I am going to do wc every two days now...and I'll use fish water for the plants....
When restrictions are in full force..dont know what I'll do...
perhaps do smaller wc..add extra filtration. decrease food at feeding but increase number of feeds / day. and scoop out tNK ASAP after each feed. scrub inside tank several times a day.....
any other ideas.

I'm selfish,i guess,as there are more important things the water is needed for..by its really bad timing. new fish are arriving next month.and i am really starting to get all this down pat - my fish are looking really good.
bummer! :-\

Serpae
12-12-2002, 11:24 PM
Hiya Pascale, glad to see that you got rain the other day, especially after those fires. We still havn't had any here in the Hill, and our zero watering policy looks very close, too close. Our salt levels are at 800ppm and soon will not be drinkable by health laws. Unfortunately it is getting way to expensive to buy R/O water and the cutting in mix increasing to near pure R/O, so I am hoping that we get lots of rain, real soon. :'(

12-13-2002, 12:26 AM
pascale:
about your cattle farmer friend-is there any way he can import feed? or would it be too expensive??
my brother-in-law farms and he's in the process of opening up a plant/business to de-hydrate(shrink down) and shrink wrap hay...this makes it loads cheaper to ship long distances without it going bad(at a fraction of the weight)

re: the drought--it's just the beginning of what i like to refer to as "end times" :(

WrxAnt
12-13-2002, 12:52 AM
Guys,

Water restrictions don't apply to changing water in your fish tank guys!!!!

Just be more efficient with your water usage...
ie when you turn on the shower in the morning and wait for the hot water to flow catch it in a watering can. We get nearly 5 litres of water every day via this method.

Yeah and putting your old water change water on the garden is a good idea!

In victoria they'd been shooting livestock for months. You could buy a head of sheep for $1!!!!

BTW City water supplies are not the same as those on farms so don't stress you are somehow making the drought worse for farmers!

You could also try catching rain water.

I know in melbourne we've had near flash flooding recently with rain... of course we have no rain in the water catchment areas!

Cheers
Antony

nalah
12-13-2002, 01:28 AM
Hi Anthony...and welcome to simply.

firstly,have you seen the thread "aussie,aussie aussie..." ??
all us guys congregate over there for regular chats..

secondly,although we are in the city,the drought still affects us in the long run. if the farmers suffer,we suffer.... meat and produce quality,availability and of course prices.

the other thing is fires.... sure you've seen on tv that sydney has already been hit hard.

i agree,tank water is great for plants..they love it. natural fertiliser.