PDA

View Full Version : Media Config for AC500?

DHDiscusMan
11-15-2002, 02:44 PM
Hi. I'm buying two AC500s (much cheaper than at my local fish stores) and I need to know which and how many media packs for each.

I don't know how many slots (are there slots) there are for media.

Anyone want to help me figure out what to order?

Thanks.

Dan

DarkDiscus
11-15-2002, 02:46 PM
Dan,

The filter comes with a sponge and carbon. Reserve the carbon for future meds, but don't use it. Just buy another sponge for the 500. You can load them both in the filter and you have tons of biological filtration. Easy to clean.

I love the AC 500!

John

dm
11-15-2002, 03:01 PM
I agree with DarkDiscus, however I also put a layer of the blue and white filter floss on top of the sponge. it collects some stuff that goes through the sponge.

DHDiscusMan
11-15-2002, 03:14 PM
Thanks guys. You saved me from buying probably $20 worth of media that I don't really need. I'll look for Blue and White filter floss but I'm not sure I know what you are describing. Maybe the LFS can help me there.

Take care.

Dan

Flexy
11-16-2002, 11:25 PM
You can also used Zeolite(white rocks) to clean up ammonia.

Some people use carbon, some not, so it's up to you.

Also Nitro-Zorb is really good, to remove Ammonia, nitrite and nitrates.

Carol_Roberts
11-17-2002, 02:17 PM
I run mine just like John - 2 sponges inside and a pre-filter sponge on the water intake tube. I use water changes to control any ammonia or nitrite spikes.

Carol :heart1:

nalah
11-21-2002, 03:14 PM
not the expert here,but i would not use zeolite on a permanent basis unless you are sure you will not forget to replace it very regularly..... this stuff leeches toxins back into the water... stick to carbon as mentioned above.. after meds.
if i'm wrong here,someone butt in please. even in my canisters now,i only use noodles,course sponge and fine sponge.

and Carols idea to use a pre-filter... :thumbsup:

p

ChienHsu
11-21-2002, 05:51 PM
I have two aq300s for my 60 gallon tank. I have very similar set as dm except the reverse arrange. I put the floss (from BigAl') under the sponge. I replace the floss when the cover pop-up and clean the sponge at the same time.

Chien