PDA

View Full Version : Sponge Pre-filter Emperor 440?

rsawest
11-15-2002, 09:39 PM
I don't know if this topic has been specifically addressed before.

With an Aquaclear, I can put a piece of foam at the end of the tube, creating the perfect pre-filter. (Thanks Carol!) I am slowly replacing my Emperors with Aquaclears, I still have several good Emperors.

But with the Emperor 440, the strainer is a square piece, very difficult to fit a piece of foam at the end of it. Any suggestions for a pre-filter?

Thanks.

Carol_Roberts
11-15-2002, 10:54 PM
Yes, I used to have emperors too. Pull the sponge off an orca or hydro sponge. It will fit over the square strainer. You'll have to get another piece of sponge to plug the bottom. OR you can just buy a big sponge and carve a hole out just big enough to fit over the strainer. . . . Carol :heart1:

jeep
11-16-2002, 12:12 AM
Just curious, why the preference of Aquaclear over Emperor?

fcdiscus
11-16-2002, 12:18 AM
My reason is the emperor carts only come with carbon. I prefer the aqua-clear sponge. Frank

LarryDinNC
11-16-2002, 12:38 AM
Does anyone make a carbon-less cart for Emperors? I have a 400 & 280. Both work great. Love the bio-wheels.

jeep
11-16-2002, 01:16 AM
Ok Frank. Good answer, I never thought of it that way. I buy filter material in bulk and cut it down to size for my Emperor's.

I just didn't know if there's a performance issue here...

fcdiscus
11-16-2002, 01:29 AM
I cannot figure out how to do that Brian. I use Penguin 330's because I get special Cartridges they make to use your own media, but I cannot figure how to make a good carbonless cart. for the 280 or 400. Frank

jeep
11-16-2002, 01:37 AM
Frank, I bought some floss from Big Als. It's real cheap and comes in a roll about 1" thick by 20" wide. I cut it down using the Emporer or Penguin filter as a template. It gets real efficient afer it starts getting dirty and lasts forever.

I have no idea if there's a huge difference between the AC and emporer, I just ended up with emporers.

Carol_Roberts
11-16-2002, 03:41 AM
The emperors are harder to clean and weigh a ton. Too bulky for this old grandma to comfortably lift over the back of the tank.

Frank - buy the cell pore block made for the emperor or just stuff fluval or some other sponges in each side. The Cell-Pore is a wonderful product. I guarantee you will like it. I got rid of the Emperors and kept the Cell-Pore for use in an Aqya Clear 500.

Carol :heart1:

Willie
11-16-2002, 08:12 AM
Where do you get Cell-Pore? Alternatively, what are other sources of bulk foam for use as pre-filters?

Willie

jeep
11-16-2002, 09:32 AM
Another question. I've never seen an AC up close. Do they have the bio filtration that the Emp's have in the wheels or is the bio filtration achieved by using additional sponge filters? The bio wheels are the only reason I bought emperors...

mench
11-16-2002, 09:32 AM
I also use cell pore for both the 400 and the aqua clear 500.Will go to Google and type in cell pore and it should take you to thier web site.If I find thier web site I will post it,they make a ton of different bio sizes for all types of filters,great product.As for the floss,I just put floss in the gray containers that the carbon packs go into for the 400's,works fine.

Mench

rsawest
11-16-2002, 10:12 AM
I've seen Cell Pore carts at Drs. Foster and Smith. Kinda pricey, $9.99 for one cart.

I agree with Carol, Aqua Clears are easier to clean and I like the extra media capacity. Thanks for the suggestion Carol.

HTH

Denny
11-16-2002, 10:47 AM
i have always had great luck with marineland products and love the bio wheels, and i like the fact that they auto restart when the power goes out. that is especially good when out of town for a few days. i put filtermax sponge pre filters on the intake and that really cuts down on the junk getting in the filter.

is the ac 500 that much lighter than an emperor 400 and if so what is the reason? lighter weight plastic? lighter motor? not much else to them that i can think of?

denny

rsawest
11-16-2002, 11:31 AM
Denny,

I like the ease of cleaning. I like the bio-wheels a lot, but the large media area is the main attraction for me. I get slightly annoyed when I'm cleaning my Emperors, it's hard getting all the gunk out.

I agree, one of the negatives about Aquaclears is the fact that they don't have auto restart.

Also, Aquaclears cost less. However, I don't see myself getting rid of my Emperors anytime soon; I just will replace them with Aquaclears as they wear out. Any new filters I buy will be Aquaclears.

So what time will you be at the Dome on Sunday? :o :o :o

Carol_Roberts
11-16-2002, 02:19 PM
Aqua clears are lighter because less water is left inside the filter after a water change. My Aqua clears restart after the power is out. You have to put water in after a water change, but as long as filter is full it will restart.

Here is a cell-pore ad for a wet dry. The slabs I have fit an emperor exactly http://www.petsolutions.com/cgi-bin/cgiitmls?m=ThisP&p=1023.110000&l=1

Carol :heart1:

Denny
11-16-2002, 07:33 PM
carol-

thanks for the clarification

linda-

we will get there about 11:00 a.m if all goes well. then to willies to get my wild babies. did you get any of them?

denny

rsawest
11-16-2002, 07:56 PM
Denny,

No, I didn't get any of the wild babies, but they are gorgeous! Very nice round, high bodies and very red. I went over to Willie's today for a chat and met up with Julz and Weezy there.

I was able to admire Willie's Oriental Dreams from Cary. Absolutely beautiful fish, the spots are incredible. And he's moved his ABD babies into their own little tank. Lots of them! I may get a few more of those when they're ready. I can never have enough blue discus.

Linda