PDA

View Full Version : keeping discus with UARU

regan
11-15-2002, 11:06 PM
Has anybody kept discus with uaru,i thing there from the same familly of fish.

Thanks regan

Ryan
11-16-2002, 12:58 AM
Uaru grow large and are aggressive eaters. Several of us here keep them. Jeff Doty has discus culls in with his Uaru, I keep mine with angels. Terry also has a large tank (180 gallons I believe) with Uaru and wild discus living together. You have to make sure the discus are getting food. Also, Uaru can be aggressive when spawning. Other than that, problems aren't severe... you just need lots of room, and they usually leave each other alone. Remember, both discus and Uaru like to be kept in groups.

Ryan

Jeffery_Doty
11-16-2002, 10:37 AM
Regan,

Welcome to Simplydiscus!

Ryan has covered your question very well. Good job Ryan!

What are you thinking about doing with the discus and uaru? Keeping adults together, juveniles, or?

Jeff
Oregon

regan
11-16-2002, 11:38 AM
First thanks for the welcome
I have a 75 gal up and running for 3 years 6 adult discus size from 4" to 6.---A very thin layer of stone gravel (great alternative to bb) very easy to keep clean,i do 2 twenty gal water changes each week for the last 3 years,simple operation i siphon out the window and pump up aged water from a 20 gal tank on the bottom.Nice and simple 15 minutes of maintanence each time.But now i'm getting a little bored with the one tank (no room for more tanks) and i was thinking about adding a couple of small uaru with the discus.
just a thought.
thanks regan

Ryan
11-16-2002, 11:43 AM
Hi Regan,

A couple things.

First, your 75 already sounds almost full with 6 adult discus in it.

Second, Uaru need to be kept in small groups of about 4 - 6, unless they are a breeding pair, in which case you could get away with 2 per tank.

However, Uaru grow to be large fish. Somewhere from 7 - 10" long or bigger (wild-caught fish grow larger than the domestic tank-raised ones)... I had to move mine out of a 55 gallon once they reached about 7 months old because they were getting huge. They're now in a 150.

You may want to look at getting a slightly larger tank if you want to keep the Uaru. JMO :)

Ryan

rfidiscus
11-16-2002, 11:20 PM
Regan, I used to breed Uaru by the thousands and have kept them with discus without to many problems... when they are younger. But as was stated earlier they grow large (up to a foot) and are very aggresive when they start breeding... I have a scar on my knuckle from a big male that wasn't happy about my hand around his fry! If you wish to keep them make sure that you have a large tank in your near future to move them into when they start maturing. ;)