PDA

View Full Version : Metro in Planted tanks

RandalB
11-16-2002, 02:25 AM
Ok all,
Here's a question I was asked that I have'nt been able to find info on: Can metronidazole be used in a planted tank without problems?
I did some checking and have not been able to get a specific answer.
Does anyone have experience or an answer? I don't want to steer someone wrong.

Thanks for all info,
RandalB

Carol_Roberts
11-16-2002, 03:35 AM
The high temps would definately be a problem for the plants - maybe one of the plant gurus could answer this?
Carol :heart1:

EthanCote.com
11-16-2002, 11:25 AM
Hi Randal,

I recently treated my Discus with Metro in a planted tanks. Mind you, my plants included Swords, Sag, Corkskews, and some Crypts. They seem fine. So aside from that, not sure if other plants are more sensitive to Metro than others.

As for the high heat, my tank currently registered a balmy 90F. High heat treatment to get the sick one to eat....and plants seem ok.

I hope that help.

Cheers,

Chi.

h317
11-17-2002, 07:43 PM
Chi,

Did the high temperature help? How long did you raise the temp. to 90F?

I got a pair that has not be eating well for three weeks (you may have seen them in the 'plant tank' section). I will try blackworm tomorrow and, if they still don't eat, I am planning to take some action.

Lawrence

EthanCote.com
11-17-2002, 11:16 PM
Hi Lawrence,

I believe the high temperature did help somewhat. The fish to my amazement did start to eat a bit. Not much mine you but enuff to put a smile on my face.

What I found out that, you need to try a variety of food. There seem to be a favourite food perfer by mine. I normally feed my Discus various food including both freeze dried and frozen, but for some reason it is will only feed on Tetra Color Bits pellets and nothing else.

So what I suggest is try feeding small portions of the various food it is used to. Perhaps there is something that will perks its interest.

And yes I was only able to kept my temp. at 90F.

I wish you luck, mine isn't out of the woods yet, but hopefully soon.

Cheers,

Chi.

PS: Did you tried treatment for your fish? For mine, I did some Metro treatment along with salt and epsom salt and Fluke Tabs since he had Hex, follow by Capillaria. But make sure what it is your fish have before you start to treat it.

h317
11-18-2002, 12:22 AM
Chi,

Thanks for the info.

It's the male who goes on hunger strike now. The female started eating some bloodworms. She was 'fooled' by me and took a few Tetra bits when mixed the offering during the feeding.

Not sure if this is true, I believe fish are not only picky on food, but on the brand also. She never took a bite on Big Al's blood worms but ate a few Hikari brand.

I tried all sorts of food on them: bloodworm, frozen brine shrimps, beef hearts and Tetra bits. I asked the breeder and he suggested me to get some blackworms. So I will try getting some tomorrow and they are to fish like caviar to humans (well, I guess not everybody loves caviar). If he still does not 'behave', I will put him in a hospital tank and try the salt/high temp. combination.

Once again, thanks for your info.

Lawrence

EthanCote.com
11-18-2002, 12:28 AM
Hi Lawrence,

I know it is tough on you mentally now...stressing over them, but hang in there.

All we can do is offer the best treatment and care we can and the rest is up to them. Don't forget to take care of yourself in the process, that is the most important thing you should remember, cuz if yer stress, then the fish will be stressed and this hobby will end up being a nightmare.

So now go treat yourself to something nice, mine is Reese cerals ;)

Wish you all the best.

Cheers,

Chi.

PS: We are here to help, so good luck.

h317
11-19-2002, 11:49 PM
Chi,

That's a good logic. It's like when the oxygen mask drops from the ceiling of the plane, you got to wear it before helping others ;).

Actually, the situation is kind of under control now. I bought some blackworm and fed them yesterday. The loved it, especially the female. Tonight, I just put the black worm into a worm feeder and the discus went after it crazy. It's the best you can ask for (well, other than breeding/spawning) from them. Now it's time to acclimate them to other type of food.

How about yours? Is he eating now?

EthanCote.com
11-20-2002, 12:28 AM
Hey Lawrence,

I'm super happy to hear your Discus are both eating. Too bad I don't live in your area, for I would love to get my hand on some live blackworms. My lsf don't sell any. I was told it was too hard to keep alive.

As for mine little guy, he hasn't eaten anything much for the past two days now. I have him on a Tramisol treatment. This treatment is to rid his tummie of any worms and nasties. So hopefully he will feel his good ole self this coming weekend.

Take care.

Cheers,

Chi.