PDA

View Full Version : Small see thru worms

Saffwaan
11-16-2002, 04:26 PM
Hello, OK i have a problem. I have recently retired from the discus scene, but people alwyas helped here so i am back!

OK the problem is. A few months ago i introduced a second sponge filter to my discus tank. The filter was used, and was given by a family friend. I washed it propely before installing it in the tank.

Since then i noticed that i have small worms abouta cm long that are very thin. They wriggle as they fkloat through the water, or they stic to the side of the glass. I have tried Salt to see if i can combat them, to no avail.

Today i sold my discus to a breedre that lives localy.
And i wahse dthe tank out, and thefilter gently undr cold water, to preserve the bacteria in the fluval.

I took out the previouse sponge filter. I have noticed after putting a only a small amoutn of water in the tank that the worms are still their.

Does anyone know what they are. and how to get rid of them i intend to use the tank for Tropical or african cichlids. BUt dont want to until this problem is solved.

Thank you Saffwaan

Wolf
11-17-2002, 03:34 AM
They could be planaria which are relatively harmless but who knows. I personally wouldn't take any chances if I was starting off a new tank. I would bleach the whole tank and filters rinsing it out extremely well . Then I would start a fisless cycle. It might take a month but it would be worth for a fresh start.

Carol_Roberts
11-17-2002, 02:31 PM
I think Fluvals are worm incubaters . . . . . Bleach everything and restart with a fishless cycle. That's the only way to be sure you have completely exterimnated them.

CArol :heart1: