PDA

View Full Version : Possible Fin Rot?!?!

lkleung007
11-17-2002, 11:20 AM
Hi Gang;

I finished treating my Discus with Pancur for Capillaria yesterday. Today, I noticed that on a couple of Discus, the very tips of their fins (dorsal and pectoral) have a whitish and frayed look to it. Could this be early signs of Fin Rot?? >:( I do plan on treating with salt and continuing my 50% WC daily. Do I need to start thinking about antibiotic therapy ???

My parameters are good in the tank; ammonia and nitrites are undetectable and nitrates are below 20.

Thanks for any advice!!

Regards, Lester

Carol_Roberts
11-17-2002, 02:25 PM
Hi Lester:

salt and the 50% water changes for a week should do the trick.

Carol :heart1:

lkleung007
11-17-2002, 04:39 PM
Hi Carol!!

As always, thanks for your input :)

I plan on using about 2 tbsp per 10 gallon of water; is this enough or should I use more??

Regards, Lester

11-17-2002, 10:28 PM
Lester,
That would be fine. ;D

What You are seeing is burns from the Med not fin rot.
What carol said is all you need!
HTH
TakeCare'
Cary Gld!

discusfish
11-21-2002, 04:29 AM
Hi, I also have a question about my discus having the same problem. Now do you add the full dose of salt back in the tank after each water change? You know what i'm saying, so is it still 1-2 tbsp per 10 gallon after each water change for one week? My female discus has been turning black in color a lot and sometimes has a "lazy" pec fin, but she does still use it. She also has this whitish slim stuff on one side of her body but you can only see it when she is dark in color. I was wondering if this treatment can help her out. Sorry for all the questions

Thanks

arpanlib
11-21-2002, 08:57 AM
hi,
i think that you just need to replace the salt which will be taken out with the water you will be changing.

and also i would like to add is that you can take the temp. a degree or so up for a stressless and fast recovery.

yes, surely this treatment will also take care of the female discus. but if this continues for more than 5 days, please do let us know. then maybe someone can suggets a better remedy.

hope this helps.

arpanlib

EthanCote.com
11-21-2002, 11:47 AM
Hey Chris,

You said that your fish has "whitish slim stuff on one side of her body" does this accompany by rubbing/flashing, heavy 'breathing' and/or lethargy??

If yes, you might have:

1) Ectoparasites.

2) Poor water quality. Test core parameters.

Let us know if she is well.

Cheers,

Chi.

discusfish
11-21-2002, 12:11 PM
Thanks arpanlib and Chi for the Advise. I did the salt and raised the temp to about 85...that's as high as my heater will go though it says it will go to 92 on the temp setting >:( She seem a little better this morning and the whitish film on her body has got a little better. To answer your question Chi about her mood, she is mostly just swimming around with a hefty appetite for food still :) She will "shake" her body around every now and then. I am thinking you have a point with the ectoparasites. When I added the salt, It looked as if the white slim stuff on her body was falling off and healthy looking skin was under that still. My Pair of Discus are fairly new to my tank. Thank has been established and cycled for about 2 months before I added them. I will keep making water changes daliy and add salt to the water I will be adding back and not the water in the tank correct?

Thanks for your responses and I look forward to hearing from you guys.

discusfish
11-21-2002, 12:16 PM
I did also notice the male fish had some of the whitish stuff on him as well but he is nice and bright in color still so it is hard to see. Am I doing everything right, it seems like this is spreading ??? Should I add more salt?

brewmaster15
11-26-2002, 09:03 AM
Hi Chris,
Hows the fish in question today. By this time salt would have helped if it was a fungus, or some mild bacterias. If it has not helped then you need an antibiotic.

also... when you add salt to a tank. It often causes the old slime coat of the fish to "peel" away. This is okay, as it removes bacterai when it does this. Salt is known to stimulate new slime coat production. Incidentally if you are doing your water changes with straight tap water, the dissolved gasses in the water make that "peeling" even more evident, and can irritate the fish. Are you using aged,aerated water?

-al

discusfish
11-26-2002, 12:05 PM
Hi Al,

Thanks for the reply. The Discus are doing much better today. There is very very little whitish film on them and the are very active and love eating right now :) Their color is also a lot brighter refined and they are not changing black anymore. Should I continue with the salt treatment until nothing is noticed? I still am making daily water changes with salt. Overall everything is looking good.

Thank you for the advise regarding the slim coat with the salt.

brewmaster15
11-26-2002, 01:41 PM
Hi Chris,
If the treatment you are using is working....Keeping using until all signs of infection are gone or it will spring back! Carry it at least a day or past the day when its all cleared up.

Glad to hear its worked out for you.

-al