PDA

View Full Version : Equipment disenfectant?

Tin Pusher
11-17-2002, 05:43 PM
I would like to have a 5 gallon bucket that is full of water and some disinfectant so I can leave nets and tools in that I use in various tanks. I don't want to change the water in this bucket more than once a week. I want to be able to use whatever net or tool that is in this bucket without having to rinse it off. It must kill whatever disease might float form tank to tank. Is this possible and if so. What is the magical chemical?
Thanks

Willie
11-17-2002, 05:57 PM
I keep my nets soaking in a 5-gallon bucket with a 50% solution of vinegar, which is acetic acid. The extremely low pH prevents any microbial growth. However, I do spray the net down before using it. I've tried potassium permanganate, which turns the nets purple, and bleach, which dissolves them.

Willie

slicksta
11-17-2002, 06:37 PM
....not sure if this will work or if it is even worth it......if you had a bucket with a UV lamp or sterilizer in it?

John

liz
11-17-2002, 07:27 PM
Hello When cleaning my nets I do them with Melafix.

EthanCote.com
11-17-2002, 10:37 PM
Not sure if this is a 100% proof idea, but at the lfs, I have seen them dip nets in salty brine.

Maybe someone can comment on this.

Cheers,

Chi.

11-18-2002, 09:36 AM
I KEEP ALL MY NETS IN PP. IF THEY ARE GOOD NETS THE PP WILL NOT DESTORY THEM. I ADD A PINCH OF pp EVERY WEEK TO THE BUCKET.

HOSE'S ETC... I KEEP IN BLEACH I ADD A 1/2 CUP EVERY DAY TO MY HOSE TUB.

TAKECARE,
CARY GLD!

Tin Pusher
11-18-2002, 03:08 PM
Seen "PP" before. What is it?

April
11-18-2002, 03:59 PM
potassium permanganate.
go to your pharmacy and ask for it. tell them you need it to clean tanks.
they have it i was told as some doctors prescribe it for diaper rash. guess it kills bacteria and organisms.
it goes a long ways.
or....king ed has a tiny bottle for ponds called anchors awya brand. i believe. ask eric.
glad to see your fish are getting better. good news.