PDA

View Full Version : Supaverm and Discus

goldengatediscus
11-18-2002, 06:31 PM
Has anyone ever experimented with Supaverm on their discus? Supaverm is a Closental/Mebendazole liquid suspension that is sold as a sheep dewormer, and is frequently used by koi keepers to eradicate flukes. It is not approved for use on fish, but the koi keepers use it anyway, because it is suppose to eradicate flukes 100% after 2 treatments. Plus the dosage of 1ml/100gal makes it very cost effective.

However, in experiments, Supaverm caused 100% mortality to all types of goldfish, high fin banded sharks and 50% mortality rate in plecostomus. Koi are unaffected by Supaverm, and flukes were killed.
I have 2 cull discus that I can experiment with, but I was just wondering if anyone has tried Supaverm on discus. Since Fluketabs contain trichlorfon and mebendazole, I'm wondering about the Closental/Mebendazole combination.

For more info on Supaverm, see:
http://www.koivet.com/html/articles/articles_results.php?article_id=42&category=13&sea rch_term=supaverm

Thanks,
Brigitte

11-18-2002, 09:07 PM
THANKS BRIGITTE,
GOOD INFO LET ME KNOW HOW IT GOS OR WERE TO GET IT
I WOULD BE GLAD TO PERFORM A TEST AND SEE.
TAKECARE
CARY GLD
P.S WHENS YOUR NEXT TRIP? ;D

goldengatediscus
11-18-2002, 10:12 PM
Cary-
Of all the people out there, I thought that you would have tried it! Well, maybe I'll have to sacrifice some fish in the name of science. The cheapest place to buy it is from www.sacramentokoi.com for $27. I have a 150ml bottle of the stuff. I will be happy to send it to you to try out on your culls. If it does cause mortality in discus, then it's no use for you to spend the money to buy a bottle. I figure that with my 2 culls, scientifically, it isn't a large enough number to get any meaningful results.
Should I send it to the address on your website?

Didn't I tell you that my next trip to Asia is with you to the Aquarama in Singapore next year, when you're gonna win mucho prizes! No more trips overseas for me this year. I have my Oriental Dreams and Spotted Eruptions, and hopefully will get some gorgeous babies from them soon! Talking about babies, how about posting some pics of your newborn!
Brigitte