PDA

View Full Version : Longevity

Babs
11-19-2002, 04:21 PM
Hi, I'm new on this board. I've had 5 discus now for five plus years. How long do they live for generally? My female has started to do what seems to be described as "head standing" and has rapid breathing. Her color is good and she eats. I have a male with a large ulcer/ nodule on his right pectoral fin. Icut it off 6 months ago but it grew back. He eats great but I'm sure the dangling tumor is uncomfortable. Any help or suggesion would be appreciated.

heavyp83
11-19-2002, 04:54 PM
Hey Babs,
Welcome to simply. From what I've hear, average discus lifetime is about ten years. Your other problems don't sound age related, and I'm sure someone here will be able to help you out with them. ;D

mench
11-19-2002, 05:14 PM
Hi Babs,I would start treating the headstanders with epsom salt and turn up the temp.I just lost 6 of my fish to this headstanding.I treated the others and they seem ok.

Mench

Rick_May
11-19-2002, 07:22 PM
Babs,
I see from your email your in Utah :o :o :o so am I!!! theirs one other that sometimes posts here under the name DISCUSDADDYSLC. His name is Morgan and hes got a small breeding project. if you would, post under the hobbiest/event locator maybe some day we might get enough discus keepers to have a get togther. heres the link to the Utah people
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=18;action=display;threadid=2361

EthanCote.com
11-19-2002, 08:06 PM
Hi Babs,

I have heard conflicting theory to this. Apparently it appears Discus normally lives between 5-10yrs and can go higher if well kept. The longest I have heard live close to 13yrs.

I also heard that if you kept them in warmer temp say 88-90F then it will shorten their live span since at this temp they tend to be more active and this tend to wear them down over the years. I have read it is better to keep adult around 82F to increase their life expectancy.

The funny thing is, do people living in the warmer climates live longer than those in colder areas??? I don't know but I imagine, a good varied diet, as well as regular WC will can help increase their life expectancy.

Again this is just hearsay, so if anyone has any concrete info about this, please let us all know.

Cheers,

Chi.

11-19-2002, 11:02 PM
i don't think you want to use epsom salt...that may kill your fish. Use non-iodized salt such as Kosher salt.
brad

EthanCote.com
11-20-2002, 12:24 AM
Hey Brad,

Epsom salt is not harmful to Discus if used in the proper amount. Epsom salt is normally use to cure intestinal blockage.

And if place in luke warm water in a bathtub, it can also help soothes yer aches and pains ;D

Cheers,

Chi.

Babs
11-20-2002, 11:51 AM
Thanks everyone for the replies. I changed the water yesterday and changed the carbon and added some salt. The female actually looks better today. Still a little heavy breathing but color is good and eats well. I REALLY need advise on the pea sized nodule/tumor that one of my fish has on it's pectoral fin. It just keeps growing larger and larger. Please help!
P.S. what is the proper dosage of salt to water?

keno
11-20-2002, 11:59 AM
Hi Babs (cool name) I use 1-2 tblsp to 10usgal water. Ive never had a fish with a tumor so im sorry i cant help you with that, it maybe just a sign of age, if you've had them for 5 years , sounds like you are a discus pro and found the right place. ;D ;D

Ken

Rick_May
11-20-2002, 12:27 PM
Babs,
are all of your fish breathing heavy, like more then once per second? It might just be gill flukes which IMO are very common in adult fish and usually don't cause much of a problem. The problem occurs when something weakens them then the flukes may compound the problem. I usually de-fluke my fish twice a year if you buy Prazi in powder form its pretty cheap. As far as the pea sized nodule goes, I have no idea. Has this fish had this for a long time or is it something that has appeared as of late? Do you have any way of posting a photo? Does it appear like a zit or is it more like a ball?

Babs
11-20-2002, 12:43 PM
Rick, What is prazi? I've never heard of it. Where do I get it? The fish with the nodule has had it for over a year. I cut it off once last Aug. but it grew right back. It's the size of a pea and it looks lie it oozes. Fish eats great!

Rick_May
11-20-2002, 03:22 PM
Babs,
its PRAZIQUANTEL, used for de-worming and flukes Barry Illiman sells it for 5$ a gram, 3 gram minimum each gram will treat 100 gallons you can email Barry at billman@citynet.net to arrange buying some. You will need to treat twice, a week apart to get both the live flukes (first week) and the flukes in eggs (second week). Also if youv'e never done a Prazi treatment before don't be suprized if you see your fish pass tape and round worms.