PDA

View Full Version : what would you do?

11-19-2002, 11:55 PM
If you had a pair spawn on the pre-filter pipe of an AC300 would you turn the filter back on after they were done? when they began to spawn i turned off the filter....they seem to be done now and are just fanning the eggs... ???

fcdiscus
11-20-2002, 12:01 AM
Is it a community tank? If so, I would turn it back on. Is it a Breeding tank with other filtration, or do you have seeded sponge filters to put in with the fish? Then, I would leave it off. frank

11-20-2002, 12:13 AM
the tank HAD 3 other fish in it....after the 2nd time i saw them zoning in for a snack(and getting one) they went into a spare tank, with a cycled filter....so it's just the two of them....with the ac300 and i've also got a double air-driven sponge that's cycled...

fcdiscus
11-20-2002, 12:15 AM
That should work. Good luck! Frank :D

11-20-2002, 12:26 AM
female and eggs

11-20-2002, 12:27 AM
male

fcdiscus
11-20-2002, 01:17 AM
Nice David. Hope you get some fry, they are nice looking fish. :D Frank

Carol_Roberts
11-20-2002, 01:30 AM
. . . and I approve of your pre-filter sponge too :thumbsup:
Carol :heart1:

11-20-2002, 01:47 AM
I'm glad you approve carol.... ;D
which reminds me...should i try and take the pre-filter sponge itself out of there, so that it doesn't start going "south" on me?? i already removed the filters from the ac300 itself and put them in another filter...

Carol_Roberts
11-20-2002, 02:01 AM
Nah, just leave them alone. In about 24 hours or so you may see eyes. If not, let them practise fanning them for a couple of days, then remove the filter.
CArol :heart1:

keno
11-20-2002, 09:51 AM
David, I really like your fish, are they wild browns? Where did you get them? Good look, hope you get wriggers :thumbsup:

Ken

DarkDiscus
11-20-2002, 10:00 AM
David,

Really nice fish! Good luck with the fry! As for what you did - shutting down the filter and using alternative filtration, that's the best call. For some reason some fish like filter intakes and sponges. Maybe the vibration is appealing in some way?

John

roger
11-20-2002, 12:28 PM
Ive have a pair that are looking at the intake pipe on my fluval. They have been pecking at it and doing the shake/shimy by it for about 3 days now. I lowered the water level in my 55 by about 4 inches so that if the fishbrains do use that tube they dont put eggs at the disconnect. The hope being I can just disconnect the tube and suck water from the top of the tank instead of the bottom. My theory isnt so much that they like the vibration but that there is usually a mild current surrounding the tubes. A mild current keeps the eggs cleaner IMO.

Back to the original question it sounds like you have enough filtration without the ac300. If the prime on it hasnt already broken I would take care of that then just let the filter go dry until they get done breeding.

daninthesand
11-20-2002, 01:40 PM
Way to go david on your first discus spawn!

Touch wood!

Daniel

11-20-2002, 03:15 PM
the female's a red alenquer, and the male is a wild santarem...i picked them up from Dave_C a few weeks ago when he momentarily took leave of his senses and sold off a whole bunch of his fish.. :)
I was hoping that the male was going to breed with a really nice red-spotted diamond snakeskin, but i guess beggars can't be choosers...either way i'm happy whether the eggs hatch or not...I've already got angel fry to take care of right now...
the eggs are at about 18 hours, and there're about half a dozen that are white....the rest still look good(about 120 or so)

Ryan
11-20-2002, 04:51 PM
What beautiful fish! I agree with Carol, I really like your pre-filter ;D That's the brand I use on all my AC's and they have made my life so simple. Just pull off, rinse, put back on. And I didn't have to cut up sponges, and they aren't as unattractive as the homemade ones either.

Let us know what happens with the pair. If the eggs are fertile and the fish get the parenting thing right, you'll end up with some handsome fry!

Ryan

11-20-2002, 11:29 PM
well, it's been a little over 24 hours now....almost all of the eggs are still there and they aren't white....it looks like the eggs have some black on them(eyes?) or maybe i just "want them to have eyes"... ::)
the female is still busy fanning the eggs...she almost never leaves them and when she does the male steps up to the plate...
what is it, about 60 hours(2.5 days) for discus eggs to hatch?? so another day and a half... :inquisitive:

daninthesand
11-20-2002, 11:32 PM
So far so good. Keep those fingers crossed. :) :) ;)

I think it depends on temperature?

Daniel

11-21-2002, 02:43 PM
between about 4:00 am and now... :'( (must be a karma slap for hooking that fish up to a sled in the "you talking to me?" section....hahahaha)
a couple questions: should i put their tank-mates back in the tank, so that they don't breed again too soon? or leave the two of them alone and let them keep going at it until they get it right....
i read somewhere that if the eggs didn't turn white before 24 hours they were likely fertilized and then it was water condition....how likely is that?
they're still fanning the eggs, so i might get a few wigglers tomorrow, but if i don't then i guess i don't know if they were fertilized by the male...

(edit)i just went and counted and there're about 30 eggs that still look good....maybe i'll still have a "very small spawn"

Carol_Roberts
11-21-2002, 05:55 PM
Nope, I've had unfertilized eggs stay golden for days. Any black eyes yet?
Carol :heart1:

11-21-2002, 08:33 PM
i'm not sure carol....i've got about another 12 hours give or take....so, i'll either have a couple wigglers tomorrow morning, or nothing....either way it's been a learning experience, and next time i shall hold my tongue until i have wigglers.... ;D

April
11-21-2002, 08:46 PM
how are they doing now David?
let me know...how they do. they may do well seeming their wildish guys...
i have an alencer and a mana pair who just laid. my alencer may be related to the one you got. he got it from mike?

11-21-2002, 09:16 PM
unless i'm mistaken the alenquer's are from samson at universal, and the wild santarem was from david webber...
i also got two red-spotted diamond snakes that Dave got from discus hawaii... ;D