PDA

View Full Version : Snakeskins origin

beta
11-20-2002, 12:07 AM
I havent seen any wild discus with something like 14 bars.
How has it developed in snakeskins?
and how do u identify a dominant trait in a fish?

Rod
11-20-2002, 06:20 AM
Hi Beta,

14 bar discus do not occur in the wild, they are the result of mutation.

A dominant trait is any part of the discus which is passed onto all the young. For instance red eyes......if both parents have red eyes and all there young also have red eyes then that is considered a dominant trait. if any of the young do not have the same red eyes as the parents then the parent discus are carriers for a ressesive trait.

HTH

Rod

Tin Pusher
11-20-2002, 03:53 PM
Beta, Rod's explanation is a little off but close. Instead of me explaining it I suggest you read an article I found on the internet explaining genetics in Dogs. Where it says dogs substitute in your mind Discus and it will be much more interesting.
http://www.mulberryfarm.com/canine-genetics_explanation.htm

Rod
11-20-2002, 08:08 PM
Thanks TP, nice article :)

April
11-20-2002, 08:18 PM
great article. Tin....you breed dogs?
I am a pet groomer..and see the cockapoo theory every day. lol. love it most when people say they have purebred cockapoo. or when will they be a registerable breed. LOL. not gonna happen.... LOL. fine by me.
there was a wild snakeskin caught....and one website has it's on their site. but dont think it had 14 bars?
www.belowwater.com

Tin Pusher
11-20-2002, 08:48 PM
Don't give me credit, I found this article when I was searching for a more complete answer to beta's question. I am not a dog person and if you have read some of my questions on this forum you would realize that Discus are not my strong suit either lol.

April
11-20-2002, 09:27 PM
Ok..but we all started just the same as you ...tin.
witha few fish from a lfs.

you will learn
stick around.

beta
11-21-2002, 12:11 AM
Thanks for the enlightment!

If the dark band for Heckels are a reccesive trait can they ever be found in any of the mutant varieties?

Thanks!

Rod
11-21-2002, 06:04 AM
Hi beta,

About 5% of my alenquer females have heckal type bars. i read an article once that claimed all discus originated in the rio Negro and spread from there to develop the variations found nowadays. If that is true then the heckel bar is prob hidden in the genes of all discus types ready to occasionally spring up.

This pic is a fish i bred a few years ago, he always showed that half heckel bar. Note sure where it came from as neither parent had a trace of the bar or his siblings.

Mike_T
11-21-2002, 10:33 AM
The way I understand it the SS pattern is a recessive trait found in some lines of wild fish. David Webber has said he has gotten a few SS fry thrown from two wild green parents, so I imagine the first snakeskins were developed this way. Here's the only pic of a wild SS I have ever seen(9-bar):

http://www.belowwater.com/fish/discus.html

Mike T 8)