PDA

View Full Version : How many worms to order?

heavyp83
11-20-2002, 01:10 AM
I have seven juveniles about 2-3 inches each. I want to make a blackworm order soon but I don't know how much to order. What do you suggest would be the best amount that would stay fresh until its gone? Thanks! :crazy:

fcdiscus
11-20-2002, 01:15 AM
HP- Start with only the 1/2 lb size. It should last you a reasonable amount of time. Frank

heavyp83
11-20-2002, 01:18 AM
Will I be able to use that much berfore the worms die? Or is that not an issue? Thanks! :bandana:

Ralph
11-20-2002, 01:19 AM
You probably want to start with half a pound (although one pound doesn't cost much more).
It depends on how much you feed your fish and how well you keep your worms. Mine last three weeks without problems though I have heard even longer times are possible. I'm still buying from the LFS, luckily they have good quality worms.

fcdiscus
11-20-2002, 01:19 AM
If you order from Dan at CBW, I think that is the minimum. Maybe if you have a buddy, you can split them with them. Frank

DarkDiscus
11-20-2002, 10:17 AM
I would start with 1/2 lb. I have 9 discus which are now 4" and up and a few other fish and I get a full pound of worms for them. I went with the 1/2 lb. for the first few months with one generous feeding a day and the worms lasted me 4 weeks or so.

I'd go with the deal which includes the worm keeper, which is very convenient for storage!

John

heavyp83
11-20-2002, 11:28 AM
How much will one keeper hold? ::)

Francisco_Borrero
11-20-2002, 11:32 AM
I was asking the same questions just 1-2 weeks ago. The keepers are said to be good for about 1/4 pound, and they are indeed wonderful! Keeping the worms healthy is very easy with them.
Dan has several introductory offerings that include keepers. One of them is for 1/2 pound.
Good luck! Francisco.

DarkDiscus
11-20-2002, 11:47 AM
I use one keeper per pound and it works very well for me.

John

keno
11-22-2002, 01:16 PM
I tried 1lb to a keeper and failed miserably, whats your secret john?

ken

DarkDiscus
11-22-2002, 01:57 PM
Ken,

I rinse thoroughly with cold water daily and feed the fish right after. I then add more water and keep them in the fridge. Nothing special. My fridge is very cold and tends to freeze things, so that may help, I guess.

I've been doing it this way for 3 months now and my 1 lb lasts up to 6 weeks very healthy until they are all eaten!

John

Carol_Roberts
11-23-2002, 12:27 AM
Hi John:
Did I read correctly? You keep a whole pound of worms in one of those little, blue 6 inch worm keepers?

I wouldn't recomend that for first time users. You're more likely to have success with only 1/4 lb. in the little blue keepers. If they get too deep and don't have a daily water change or two the worms will suffocate. :-X

CArol :heart1:

cinn
09-23-2005, 09:20 AM
:o I am a newbie to this site and discus in general. I am going to need some blackworm and noticed you were discussing "Dan" and ordering some. Could someone provide me with information on reaching this "Dan" so that I could order a couple keepers and some blackworm?

Thanks in advance,

KD
09-23-2005, 09:33 AM
http://www.aquaticfoods.com/index.html

Make sure that you use aged no chlorinated refrigerated water to rinse them for four days prior to feeding and everyday or twice a day to keep them clean. Keep the worms refrigerated too.
I have 15 Adult Discus and purchase 1/2 pound , I feed once a day and this lasts me 4 weeks.
HTH!
Karen