PDA

View Full Version : Golden Pearl vs BBS

hunterbeav
11-21-2002, 12:29 PM
Has anyone ever tried Gloden Pearl instead of BBS. My first batch of fry are going to be raised on it. http://www.artemia-international.com/shrimp_laval.html#gp seems like it would be wayyyy easer then bbs. Fry are attracted to the hydrosponge anyway right ????? So after 5 days with the parents feeding from the slim coat, I'll move them to there own tank and put some Golden Pearl on the hydrosponge and let them eat away. Could even put it in while there with the parents to see if they go for it. Of course I willl be standing by with bbs just in case it fails lol. :)

John_Nicholson
11-21-2002, 12:58 PM
Although you could move the fry at 5 days I think I would take a little more time. On day 5 start trying to feed the fry while they are still with the parents. Once they start eating well on their own then move them. I think they will do better with a slower transition.

-john

roger
11-21-2002, 01:52 PM
Isnt the minimum order from these guys 1 case? 288$

Thats a bit expensive if they dont eat the stuff. Thought I wonder if my other fish (yes there is something else other than discus in the house) would eat that stuff.

11-21-2002, 01:52 PM
Hi Jim and Diane

I've tried using the golden pearls and I can say I still have plenty left in the refrigerator :-X I found that the fry I've raised were much happier with the live bbs ::) just my experience ;)

Beth

Dennis_Hardenburge
11-21-2002, 01:53 PM
I agree with John
If the parents are not overly stressed leave the fry with them longer. Unless they are cleaning a new site to spawn again.
I start baby brine on the fourth day off free swimming, but will leave the fry with the parents as long as they feel comfortable with them.
I usually only use baby brine for a week then go to the large size of NO BS untill they can take formula one and beedheart.
The last spawn instead of the NO BS I just put tetra bits in a small baggie and wacked them with a hammer to crush them up, I feel I got better growth with the tetra bits verse NO BS. And at ten days they readily excepted them.
Good Luck
Dennis

fcdiscus
11-21-2002, 02:02 PM
I am with Dennis 100%, but instead of wacking them with a hammer, I use a pepper grinder to grind the Tetra bits small enough for the babies. :) Frank But then again, Dennis is a Carpenter, and I have 10 thumbs!

hunterbeav
11-21-2002, 02:44 PM
Roger you can buy it by the 500g which is 1 lb. You just need to call your order in. They have naturarose and spril powders, there cheap too all by the lb !!!! Thanks all for the input :)

Dennis_Hardenburge
11-21-2002, 02:52 PM
Frank
I had to buy my own meat grinder.
Now you think the wife is going to let me use the pepper grinder for bits.
I'll try it.

Beth
Nice to see you posting.
Dennis

11-21-2002, 05:04 PM
I agree with Dennis, tetra/color bits are the way to go.
I start will the small size no bs and then switch over to the color bits that I also grind up in a coffee grinder and then on to formula 1 frozen cubes, blackworms and bloodworms
No hassle of hatching baby brine.
Randy

11-21-2002, 05:25 PM
Jim,

Keep the fry with the parents as long as possible.

Imho there is no substitute for live bbs, I've tried golden pearls, cyclops-eeze, no bs, and a few others.

they are great as a suppliment but not a replacement. I havent tried crushed tetra bits, but crushed plankton-krill-spirulina flakes work well too.

Golden pearls will be fine though if your, just hobby-breeding and not going for max results, and more importantly-don't have the time too muck around with shrimp.

fcdiscus
11-21-2002, 06:41 PM
Coffe Grinder, huh Randy! Sounds good. I could sneak that out of the kitchen, but the dam thing makes a lot of noise! ;D Frank

11-21-2002, 08:19 PM
Frank, Im way ahead of you. The one I have is very small. It is a camping model, even runs off batteries 8) 8) 8)

randy