PDA

View Full Version : very tiny,fine, white hair-like things in tank

nalah
11-21-2002, 03:06 PM
not overly concerned at this stage,as it does not appear to be affecting fish. this stuff is all over the glass,sides and floor. i scrub daily,but it returns.not worms.... definitely doesnt move.

yesterday,i used aquarium pharmaceuticals -algae fix.
later,i noticed all the "hairs were no longer on sides..and had fallen to floor of tank.

i presumed it was algae. anyone else get this??

p

Carol_Roberts
11-21-2002, 10:10 PM
Well, Pascale, regardless of what it is, more water changes will probably get rid of it, lol.

If it is plant based salt may speed the process - rinse the sponges too.

Carol :heart1:

nalah
11-22-2002, 01:03 AM
Thanks Carol,
i am doing daily 50% wc... dont have storage for water to do more than that.

re: salt. usual dosage??

i clean pre-sponges daily.

Carol_Roberts
11-22-2002, 01:09 AM
Yes, a couple of tablespoons per 10 gallons. Rinse your regular filters and wipe down glass too. It should clear up in no time.
Carol :heart1:

Ivan
11-22-2002, 11:57 AM
It is algea, check phosphates and nitrates are not up. Feed more times per day less food per meal. Just my pennies worth.
Ivan

DarkDiscus
11-22-2002, 02:04 PM
Yep. I have had them in the past, usually due to leftover food in the water column. Smaller feedings more often, clean out the filters and wipe down the tank.

I'm surprised you have this issue with 50% wc daily though.

John

nalah
11-22-2002, 05:44 PM
John,
nothing surprises me. someone is putting me thru a "test" with these discus.LOL. i am keeping them all alive now,so the rest shouldnt be too bad. yes..doing 50 wc daily. because,although established tank,i am getting reading of nitrAtes???. but its slowly going down.

Carol.thanks,i'll add salt.

Ivan - nitrates are not that high anymore,but still getting a reading. i will buy a phos. test kit. thanks

p

Ivan
11-23-2002, 04:35 PM
Pascale you should allways get a reading of nitrates, last stage of nitrogen cycle, just try keep e'm below 25ppm and no probs. It's the nitrItes that are bad, just 1ppm can inhibit the fish's blood to take up oxygen.
Ivan