PDA

View Full Version : My mother the sponge

paulmat
11-22-2002, 12:28 PM
Does anybody have some tips on getting wigglers off the sponge filter,the parents are taking good care of them, but don't seem to be trying to get them on thier sides :(
Paul :guitarist:

April
11-22-2002, 11:59 PM
Are they ready yet Paul? are they trying to swim? perhaps the movement and the colour is making them think it is dear old ma. maybe if they are free swimming..you need to turn the sponge off and put a white stocking over it. so its white not black. ??? and hope they see their loving parents and swim into their open fins.
let us know how it goes. also you can lower the water level.

11-23-2002, 12:22 AM
I am no pro, but just having fry, my babies also stuck to the sponge at first, (I was using a power head), so I had to pull it out of my tank and I added a regular sponge used with an air pump and Whala..... babies no longer went to the sponge. My problem, which may not be yours, was that the suction on the powerhead sponge was too strong... pulling them towards it. Just a thought.... I have over 100+ fry still as today ;D

I also, drained half of my water in my tank, so the babies would have no choice but to find the parents. Once they did, I added back the water. When I started seeing fry sucked by the filter, I also pulled it - IMMEDIATELY!!!! Shortly after, I pulled the powerhead... and am now on day 13!!!! GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

paulmat
11-23-2002, 12:31 AM
April & Spluweze
Thanks for the tips.I thought I would send some pics 8)

paulmat
11-23-2002, 12:32 AM
A little closer one.

April
11-23-2002, 12:46 AM
great pics..but doesnt look like they are free swimming yet to me...so not to panic yet. when you see them coming off...turn it off id say. so no water movement other than the parents. keep us updated.
lucky you.

11-23-2002, 12:48 AM
Beautiful parents Paul!!!! I was told by a great source, that the pigeon bloods do not have alot of slime coat, therefore the fry usually go to the darker fish first. I would drain half the water out of the tank, so the fry can find the parents. This worked for me instantly. Once they found the parents, I waited 4 hours and then added back the water. Just a thought..... my fingers are crossed for you, its just a cool experience!!!! ;D

I also agree with APril, they may not have started free swimming yet. Look under photos, on my thread... "I got eggs" and see what day mine started free swimming and compare to your day with fry.

paulmat
11-23-2002, 01:14 AM
They are not freeswimmers yet probable another 12 hrs. or so I think.Thanks for the tips,I'll keep you posted ;)