PDA

View Full Version : What's the best flake food

RandalB
11-23-2002, 07:21 PM
Hi All.

I have a female Blue turq that refuses all foods but flake. Anyone have a suggestion for the absolute best flake food? I'm looking for nutrition and fish appeal info.

Any information is appreciated.

RandalB

11-23-2002, 08:55 PM
Even CBW's Randal?

There are a number of Omega brands that are of great nutritional value. First Flake really stands out for me. Then there is kelp, veggie, and a few others.... I also use a generic bran from my lfs.. Consisiting of Earthworm, Veggie, Plankton, & Spirulina. I just mix it all together (along with some freeze dried junk and pellets)and throw it in my feeders... You wanna see fishies go nuts? They love it all. :thumbsup: And of course, I save the best for last...
CBW's don't have a chance in my tanks..... :smash:

Julz

Carol_Roberts
11-23-2002, 11:21 PM
Ocean Nutrition Formula One (ONF1) blue lid gets my vote.
CArol :heart1:

RandalB
11-24-2002, 12:03 AM
My favorite discus ladies post first! Outstanding.

Julz, She'll pick at the CBW but doesn't go crazy like her man. Strange fish!! ???

I'll definatly try your suggestions Carol and Julz . I was using Tetra Marine flakes that someone gave me. I'll give the others a try and I have some Diskusin on the way too.

Thanks,
RandalB

brewmaster15
11-24-2002, 12:14 AM
Hi Randal,
I ahve found all the HBH flakes to have what my fish needed. They alos have what I needed... a reasonable price. Try Jehmco....

http://www.jehmco.com/PRODUCTS_/FISH_FOODS_/HBH_Brand_/hbh_flakhbh_brand_.html

hth,
al

RandalB
11-24-2002, 01:10 AM
Thanks Al,
Looks like I have some ordering to do.....

RandalB

11-24-2002, 11:03 PM
I am also turning back to flakes on the menu.
I am considering Ocean Nutrition Brine Shrimp Plus and the Plankton Gold Flake from brineshrimp direct.
What do you think about these two brands?

Thanks

aloha_discus
11-25-2002, 12:11 AM
Aloha RandalB, I use Omega one first flakes for new arrivals then after they settle down I go to O/N 1 and the Prime reef. There are times when I offer HBH meatlovers to my Red/whites along with freeze dried krill. I also found that the rest of my discus enjoy f/d krill. I currently have 15 strains of discus so sometimes it is hard to please them all, but variety is key.

I hope this helps.

Aloha Ike ;D& Anne

RandalB
11-25-2002, 01:21 AM
Aloha Ike and Co.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

I have one Q. I have gotten several recommendations for Marine flakes. Is this a good idea? I read somewhere that marine foods sometimes have Iodine added that may be detrimental to freshwater fish :puke:. Has anyone else heard this? Do the foods we are talking about have Iodine added?

Just Wondering
RandalB