PDA

View Full Version : pythons useful or junk?

discus_fan
11-24-2002, 02:10 PM
Maybe I ca'nt figure this out,but hooked up python about 14'from tank to sink,and it seems to draw water alright,but to be frank it ca'nt draw t#rds very well.Will someone explain how it works and if it has been effective for them,or is it junk?To me seems it would work ok for filling,but not draining.Any opinions would be appreciated. thanxs Will

Carol_Roberts
11-24-2002, 02:23 PM
Hi Will:
Forget about hooking it to the sink. I Throw one end out the door or into the bathtub and use it like any other tank cleaner. I let gravity do the job, lol.

What I love are the loooonnng 1/2 inch diameter hoses. You can buy extra 20 foot lenghts too. I have a whole system (with quick connects) to attach to my pumps in storage barrels.

Carol :heart1:

Richman
11-24-2002, 02:54 PM
If you are not getting enough suction to properly remove waste, it is because there is not enough vertical distance between your tank and sink. Dropping the end of the hose where the water drains out to a lower point will increase flow and suction on a gravity suction. That is why it does a better job if you just drain it out the door on the ground. I have a tank in my bedroom where there is no easy door access , so I drain it in the toilet. It is adequate. Remember, the greater the vertical distance between the origin of the siphon and the point where the water exits the hose-----the greater the suction. HTH

discus_fan
11-24-2002, 03:09 PM
Hi Carol,thanks.I understand turning water on from sink helps draw water out of tank.How do I get it to fill up if I throw it out the window?I do'nt have enough hose to reach the tub for now.I have a small pump which takes about 20 mins. for 30 gallons,very slow.It came from one of those 90 gallon outdoor ponds my brother no longer uses.Normally I use a small cyphon to a garbage can,and I'm trying to skip that step to save time so I can set up another tank to divide my 17 juvenile discus up by size.Trying to cut down on time,takes over an hour a night,leaves no time for chasing girls,lol.Oh well,hopefully I'll get a good christmas bonus and buy some super pumps.Thanxs for your help ;D. sincerely Will

Richman
11-24-2002, 03:30 PM
Will,
Take the pump off. All you need is the large python end that does the suction and the hose. You can drain it out the window as long as the hose does not have to rise to a level higher than your tank. Place the drain end out the window and to the ground if possible. Put the large vacumn end in the tank and fill with water. Then pinch off about 3 feet of hose beneath it. Raise up the large vacumn tube and let the water fill the 3 feet you have pinched off. Then put the large piece back in the water an angle making sure no air escapes up into the hose. Refill the large end with water. When you are sure all air is out of the system, hold the point where you are pinching off the hose below the aquaium and let it go. Keeping the vacumn in the tank. The siphon will start automatically. If you inadvertantly let air get in it while cleaning, it will stop. Just repeat the process to start it again.

Carol_Roberts
11-24-2002, 03:38 PM
How do you get the hose to fill up with dirty tank water? I just scoop water into the clear, hard plastic tube and holdl it up higher tahn the tank a couple of times to get the water flowing.

OR how do you fill the tank back up with clean change water? attach to faucet or to pump that has been fitted with a piece of hose and a male or female hose coupling . . .

discus_fan
11-24-2002, 04:13 PM
Sounds good,thanx all. ;D Will

heavyp83
11-25-2002, 05:26 PM
My python is perhaps my most cherished piece of fish equipment. I love it. The onlt problem I ever had was that the original plastic piece that goes between the faucet and the green main piece always got stripped. But that was easily fixed by buying the metal one. ;D

11-25-2002, 05:46 PM
My bedroom is on the second story of my house so i run it out over the screened-in-porch and down to the grass. It's a very nice dropoff and drains extremely quickly, even with the added friction of two additional 30' sections. I prefer using a different hose to fill the tanks back up so none of the nasties get back in.

11-25-2002, 06:57 PM
I'm with Brad... :thumbsup:
One to Vacuum and One to Fill.... No Nasty's for me either... ;)

Carol_Roberts
11-25-2002, 08:24 PM
I have three filling hoses and 4 draining hoses for 8 tanks.

boxlotfish
11-27-2002, 12:00 AM
Hi Will: I took one look at the Python and decided it is the same as a $5.00 Wallmart water bed attachment. The only problem is in the hose that will cave in with a regular garden hose from the suction. Home Depot has the clear hard hose that works for my fish room.
Loren

11-27-2002, 01:06 AM
Loren,
that would work great if you can make a scoop to put on the end to get it going. I wouldn't pay for it either, being the cheap high school kid that i am, but mine came with my used tank.

Brad