PDA

View Full Version : ? on treating entire tank

scotz
11-25-2002, 12:24 PM
I think one of my little guys has hex - actually I am sure he has - Should I treat the entire tank or pull the little guy out and treat him separately. What about the rest of the fish in the tank - will they come down with hex also? In other words how contagious is hex? I am thinking of treating the entire tank just to be sure, but it is a 55 gal and the cost of treating is > treating a 10 gal. hospital tank.

Thanks

scotz

EthanCote.com
11-25-2002, 01:54 PM
Hi Scotz,

How long was the sicked fish in the tank with the others? If it has been in there longer than a few days I would suggest treating the whole tank. If my understanding is correct, Hex can be passed from one Discus to another through the infected poop consume.

If your Discus is anything like mine, they'll end up picking at everything including poop. So I would say the chances of passing Hex around is quite good.

A healthy fish can normally withstand some Hex in their gut and survive quit well, but when stressed the Hex will multiple and make the fish sick.

Thus, I would treat the whole tank.

To save on medication, you can lower your tank water level to half or a quarter of the tank (that is if your filter allows it). I have lowered my water level to about 40% in my 75 gallon and it worked.

Wish you luck.

Cheers,

Chi.

11-25-2002, 02:26 PM
GREAT! advice Chi :thumbsup: