PDA

View Full Version : The Mother of all .......

peety
11-26-2002, 01:58 AM
I feel like having a bit of a tanty so no rediculing please.
I just dosed my tank with White Spot cure, after noticing white spots on 3 of my discus. It started with 1 then 3 had it. ::)
The last couple of days though I have been watching my first pair do the dancing thing(never seen it before).
Sometime between me dosing (5 hours ago) and now, my discus have had their first batch of eggs....
I am now guessing it wasn't Ich but nips from some very protective parents... :-[
Only 1 fish showed any sign of problems earlier on (dipping and head down), so can't be sure.
The question is ... (here comes the really stupid part) what did I do? Has the cure become the killer? I know first layings don't normally come to much but I'm really upset I jumped the gun. Have I fried the fry? ???

Theres easily over a hundred eggs and parents are brooding over them..

Nothing more dangerous than an ignorant man except perhaps misplaced knowledge....

:( :( :(

peety

11-26-2002, 02:02 AM
Anyone that has ever over medicated their discus..raise your hand. Mine's up.

fcdiscus
11-26-2002, 02:03 AM
Well, as they say, no crying over spilt milk! Take out the meds with some carbon, and hope for the best. Frank

Carol_Roberts
11-26-2002, 02:24 AM
Discus ussually don't get ick, because ick doesn't survive in warm discus temperatures. If you used something like quick cure, (formalin and blue) your eggs should be OK

Carol :heart1:

peety
11-26-2002, 03:51 AM
Yeah... the blue stuff...
Thanx, I hope alls OK (sigh)
I can't stop watching the tank now... fussy parents aint they ;D

Am I right in saying if the eggs don't colour up in 3 days they're goners?

Peety :P

Carol_Roberts
11-26-2002, 03:33 PM
If nothing after three days they won't hatch
CArol :heart1:

peety
11-27-2002, 03:51 AM
OK,
I have no eyes appearing and a bunch of white eggs. Parents aren't eating any eggs and really protective still... won't leave their spot!

Problem is what do i do with a couple of discus who don't know its over?

Do I remove the eggs? Or just leave them to it?

??? peety

11-27-2002, 09:34 AM
Leave them alone. It will be a good learning experience for them. JMHO. I don't think it will cause them to eat eggs. I often wipe out the eggs when they lay on the glass instead of letting them hatch and make a bad habit out of it. As soon as the eggs are gone. They immediately peck on the new site. It really doesn't make any difference to keep it or wipe it out.
Jimmy.

peety
11-28-2002, 02:42 AM
I'm pretty amazed but....
There are eyes looking back at me from inside the eggs!!1 ;D ;D ;D

There are still a lot of good ones about 60-70 with some of the cloudy ones eaten and some dead ones still there...(they look a bit mouldy).

Mom and dad are still vigilant.

But the other fish are definately showing worse signs of ICH.

My tank is only running at 86 thats 28 degrees for us down here. Can I bump it up to treat ICH or should I try and remove sick fish to another tank and leave conditions as they are?

I guess the fry will get eaten the minute they appear... any way to protect them? Hand raising? lol :P

Too many fish in my community tank to move them all......

TV has definately taken second place lately....

peety

Ivan
11-28-2002, 07:58 AM
The "blue" you mention is that methaline blue?
Anway, turn the temp up to 86f, 30c and the ich should go as the parasite cannot reproduce at that temp. Unless you have avery stuborn strain!! Only other thing is that eggs are more prone to fungus in higher temps. If you have dosed with meth blue, that will help with the eggs not fungusing and to do away with the ich.
Ivan

peety
11-29-2002, 02:46 AM
Thanx Ivan,
I was only using Quick Ich Cure got some meth blue and treated. The wigglers are still moving so fingers crossed... ;D

peety
11-29-2002, 04:16 AM
This just keeps getting better...

Who said discus were wimps!? >:( >:(

Since the first spawning i have:
Added Ich Cure to the water
Bounced the temps
Added fluke tabs (To recommended strength)
then removed some wigglers before the parents got the lot
Moved the pre-fry (is that a real word :-*) to a holding bowl and kept adding ich cure till I could get some meth blue

And just had my first free swimmer !!!

Looks like most i moved are still alive ;D ;D ;D

I can't believe me luck :)

I've got their first dinner ready, and bbs on the go, this rocks 8)

peety