PDA

View Full Version : what does everyone use...

11-26-2002, 06:20 AM
...to hatch brine shrimp?? describe your set-up, and a picture would be great also....

aloha_discus
11-26-2002, 10:06 AM
Aloha David, a friend has given me a simple way to do it.
1st. get a couple of cannining jars fill with water to an inch from top.
2nd. get in my case some salt pellets from water softener salt bag about four will do. Add to water.
3rd. add as much bs eggs as needed.
4th. add aeration.
In about 12 to 18 hrs you should have some bbs. The second jar is for second batch for next day. I always try to think ahead and this way you dont run out of bbs and you always have a fresh batch.

I would post pics but have no digi cam. it is on my get it bad list. ;D

I am sure there other ways but this is pretty easy for me.

Aloha for now, Ike & Anne ;D

11-26-2002, 11:13 AM
HiYas David.....

Try this link http://webrbiz.com/angelfish/amh.html
I think it can be very helpful to you ;) There's a picture of my bbs hatchery in the first gallery 1st pic ;D I believe the shape of that vase really helps collecting them much easier ;)

HTH

Beth

paulmat
11-26-2002, 11:51 AM
David
A simply way is to use a 2L soda bottle and cut the bottom off,punch three small holes 1 in. down from where you cut(now the top)equal dist.from each other(like a triangle) and use fishing line,Or coated wire, to make a hanger
Now all you need is a airstone, make sure that it reaches the bottom,and a light,B.S. eggs,salt and water

Paul :guitarist:

arpanlib
11-26-2002, 03:14 PM
hi,
i just use a small one litre container to hatch brine shrimps.

i make a solution to sg of 1.022, 28 dergee celcius.
a bit of light till the eggs hatch. they hatch in about 24 hours. i use the decapsulated eggs, so i dont have much difficulty seperating them. the amount i require, i feed to the fish and the ones which are left out are grown for 14 days before feeding. the discus just love the adult ones and the marine guys love the newly hatched brine shrimps.

hope this helps.

arpanlib

arpanlib
11-26-2002, 03:32 PM
hi,
managed to get a picture of my setup.
i use the nokia 7650 to capture images. i hope the results come out good.

the bigger container is the goldfish bowl (as we call it in india), which is used for raising BBS to adult size and the small container is a hatcher.

hope you this helps.

arpanlib

daninthesand
11-26-2002, 04:38 PM
Hi arpanlib.

A nice compact setup you got there. What do you feed the BBS to raise them to grow larger during the 14 days you say you raise them to adulthood? Any hints on raising the BBS to be adults (like temp. etc.) whould me most helpful.

Daniel

TheDiscusKid
11-26-2002, 04:48 PM
I bought the San Fransisco Brand brine shrimpl hatchery kit, and i think it works pretty good. Just put a 2 liter bottle upside down and cut a whole through the top. The add what ever i need to hatch the brine. Since the tube connects to the bottom of the bottle, i just unhook the tubing from the airpump and let the brine go into a jar. Works great. :)

Bruce

Ryan
11-26-2002, 05:05 PM
This is going to sound really lame.. LOL..

I went digging through my kitchen and found a plastic Pokemon cup from McDonalds, my cousin left it here a few months ago. It is tall and slender and holds a little over 1 liter of water, which is all I needed.

1 liter of water, 2 tablespoons of rock/ice cream salt, and 1 teaspoon of brine eggs (or less, if you only need a real small batch).

I dump them all into the Pokemon cup, stick a rigid airline into it connected to a pump, and then let them bubble away for about 24 hours in my bedroom window (plenty enough light to make them hatch).

Once they have hatched, I disconnect the air hose from the pump, and then use the rigid tubing as my siphon. I point an aquarium light at the bottom of the cup -- the eggshells float to the top, the brine gather at the bottom around the light. Then I just siphon them up with the rigid airline tubing into a brine net, rinse under tap water, and feed to the babies.

Ryan

11-26-2002, 05:22 PM
arpanlib, we call that a goldfish bowl in canada,too :)

is temperature important?? i noticed ryan said he puts it in his window...if i put mine in my window it'll probably get a little chilly...

I don't really wanna buy a hatchery, because a) i''m cheap....and b) anything i've seen for sale is either really expensive, or even more lame the ryan's pokemon cup...(just kidding ryan, whatever does the job, eh?!)

Dave_C has a really good plan for one that allows you to stagger the hatches all in one system, so you always have fresh brine shrimp, but i wanted to see what alot of other people are doing before i commit to building one...

arpanlib
11-27-2002, 12:37 PM
hi daniel,
i mentioned in my last post that i use the small container for hatching and the big for growing BBS into adult.

the temp. in india at present is max. 28 degree celcius and min. 10 degree celcius.
i donot take care of the temp. from my experience they do well in this temp and better in above temp.
the things i keep in mind are :
ph should always be 8
that the makeup water be of the same ph.
and the lesser the light through growing stage the better.

i feed them the tetra invertimin for invertebrates. it has to be diluted(two drops in 5ml water) before putting it in the growing bowl. for the 1st week, i feed 2ml once a day and from the 2nd week, i feed them 5 ml a day (2.5 ml in the morning and 2.5ml in the evening)

it took me nearly 1.5 years to learn them to grow to such a size(approx 1 cms). i tried many types of things, but this worked out best for me. cost effective and rewarding to me and the fish.

hope this helps.

arpanlib

arpanlib
11-27-2002, 12:41 PM
hi,
i forgot somethings.

the sg i maintain is 1.022

the temp. fluctuates and that doesnot make a much difference, but if it is lesser at your place, then you need to maitain min. 28 degree celcius for a faster growth. (results in summer are better than winters.)

hope this helps.

arpanlib

brewmaster15
11-27-2002, 12:50 PM
Heres my Shrimp hatchery.....
http://a5.cpimg.com/image/57/F2/10911575-a407-021C0195-.jpg

http://a6.cpimg.com/image/58/F2/10911576-0d87-0195021C-.jpg

http://a7.cpimg.com/image/59/F2/10911577-ff2e-021C0195-.jpg

I basically , drill a hole in the bottom of a coke bottle.Pass a rigid plastic air line tube in to the cap, and , leaving 1/2 inch sticking out of the bottom of the bottle. Drill one more hole as vent.
I fill the bottle with salt water (sg 1.022), shrimp , and a pinch of baking soda from the cap. With my fingers over the 2 holes. . cap tightly and connect to an airpump. Seems like a lot of work but it allows me to use any empty tank as a water bath, and I heat the tank to about 82-85 F to speed up hatching.

HTH,
al

11-27-2002, 07:34 PM
thanks for all the helpful info everyone....
if i've got this right, the light is not necessary until harvest when you want the BBS to swim to the bottom(towards the light) away from the shells on top....

Ryan
11-27-2002, 08:04 PM
According to a couple websites I read, the light is needed to properly hatch the eggs. Here are a few quotes:

http://www.geocities.com/fgrainer/BrineShrimp.html

In order for bbs eggs to hatch they require a certain amount of light. It is not known at which stage of hatching the light is necessary.

http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/brineshrimpfaq.html

Light - Illumination is necessary to trigger the hatching mechanism within the embryo within the first few hours of incubation. Maintaining a light source during the entire incubation period is recommended to obtain optimum hatch results and for temperature control.

Ryan

daninthesand
11-27-2002, 10:40 PM
arpanlib

Thanks for the informaton. If people go to the trouble to raise BBS I don't see that it is a leap of effort to raise them to adulthood if its as easy as it seems. Why risk live foods from questionable sources when you can raise your own?

Daniel

citizenal
11-28-2002, 07:04 AM
Raising birne shrimp to fullsize takes more effort than hatching brine shrimp. A few days after they hatch their yolk sacs are used up and you have to feed then with phytoplankton, live algae cultures or spirulina powder. Feeding them clouds up the water real fast and if you dont do 2 water changes a day you will get a steady death rate (a little clump of dead shrimp on the bottom). If you can find a good way to filter the saltwater and replace it then it will be no problem to raise brine shrimp to full size. What I have found that works is to use a strainer of some sort (for noodles or such) and place a shop towel for filtering. In shop towel I mean the disposable ones that are blue and are for car use. This method is great for freezing freshly hatched brine shrimp for your discus. You get the full nutritional value of the yolks and you dont have to constantly hatch brine shrimp. I use a 5 gallon bottle and 7 spoons of brine shrimp. I'll tell, thats alot of filtering!!!

Discusgeo
11-28-2002, 08:13 AM
Here is how mine is put togethere. I have a acrylic holder inside the 10 gallon tank that keeps the pop bottles upright. The heater is set to 85 to keep the water water so the eggs hatch out quickly. I normally have all 3 bottles running with the eggs added 24 hours apart.
George
http://image1ex.villagephotos.com/pubimage.asp?id_=1085188

11-28-2002, 01:27 PM
george: your 3-bottle system is almost identical to dave_c's...only he managed to squeeze it into a five gallon tank....i picked up a used ten gallon tank last night and a couple sheets of that white plastic egg-crate...rather than using plexi-glass on the bottom, i'm just using a few courses of eggcrate with holes cut out for the pop bottles to notch into...

Willie
11-28-2002, 01:32 PM
Dan;

The ecology and biology of the brine shrimp in the Great Salt Lakes has still not been elucidated, so raising them is not just a matter of food and biological filtration. I remember a conversation with Mary Ellen Sweeney, who edited Aquarium Fish for a while. She was able to maintain a salt water aquarium with a very slow sponge filter in the sunlight with brine shrimp. However, the yield was extremely low.

Willie

arpanlib
11-28-2002, 02:30 PM
hi,
in my opinion, the brine shrimps grow in puddles, left by the waves, and i have tried to create the same situation. i donot do any filteration, nor do i change the water, instead i remain steady on the water parameters.

the brine shrimp grow well and i can see none of them dead on the bottom of the container. and for all, if i maintain the same SG 1.022 throughout their growth and breeding, i am rewarded with BBS from the parents!!! this ways, i am never out of BBS and adults. the moment i get BBS, i filter out the adults to feed them to the fish and also some of the BBS for the anemone.

hope this info helps you all.

arpanlib

11-28-2002, 02:47 PM
arpanlib: you must be doing something right if you're getting your brine shrimp to breed... ;)

Discusgeo
11-28-2002, 02:59 PM
David here is a picture of the holder that keeps my 3 bottles upright. I purchased it off Aquabid from USMC1. For your information there is no glass on the front or back of this item
http://image1ex.villagephotos.com/pubimage.asp?id_=1086266

peety
11-28-2002, 11:27 PM
The drink bottle one does it for me :)
This link is the method I use,
http://aquarium.virtualave.net/brine.html
I tried it other ways (harder) then was staggered when an old coke bottle with some holes drilled in it did the trick.

I tried to grow them on as well but they died fairly quickly after a few days, some got big but... :-\

Thats my next project, a constant supply of adults.... :juggle: