PDA

View Full Version : Maybe a dumb question

Fishin dude
11-26-2002, 05:03 PM
Hi,
Being a rookie on this forum, please don't laugh ;D
If I raise my water temperature from 85f to 88f, will my young discus grow faster. Any help is appreciated.
Dawson

EthanCote.com
11-26-2002, 05:31 PM
Hey Dawson,

I would have to say Yes.

It appears if you raise the temp = raise their metabolism = need to feed more to keep up with their active lifestyle = more food = more growth I imagine.

Also I recalled reading a post that said, with higher temp it tend to reduce the life span of your Discus. Perhaps someone can shed more light into this issue.

Cheers,

Chi.

fcdiscus
11-26-2002, 05:46 PM
88 is a tad high. I would suggest 86. Frank :)

Fishin dude
11-26-2002, 05:53 PM
Chi,
Can I assume at 85-86f the discus will reach its maximum size , but only take a little longer?
Also, at the higher temperature will the water hold as much oxygen?
Size is a major concern of mine and I just want to do it right :thumbsup:
Dawson

EthanCote.com
11-26-2002, 06:03 PM
Hey Dawson,

Higher temp does indeed means less O2, but that's why I have plants in me tanks ;) (just thot I promote for a planted tanks hehe).

Actually that is just my hypothesis. Before you go ahead and do it, wait and see what others write here. I'm sure there are people here who are more experience and/or have tried it and can give you a better answer with pros and cons to high heat.

Cheers,

Chi.

Dennis_Hardenburge
11-26-2002, 10:36 PM
Dawson
I feel water quality, regular tank cleaning and a varied diet are more important to growing large Discus than a few degrees difference in water tempuature, I keep all my tanks at 83 degrees and I have fish that are seven inches not counting tail.
Just keep changeing water and keep feeding.
Save the high temps for medical purposes if needed.
Size can also be determined by genes, some strains do get larger than others.
Good Luck
Dennis

11-27-2002, 01:10 AM
I think Dennis summed it up quite nicely. I do, however, prefer 86 for juvies and 84 for adults, sometimes going to 82-83 to get fish to spawn. Dennis has me in experience in many a year so listen to him.
brad

ps-there are no stupid questions, just stupid people... ;D