PDA

View Full Version : sponge vs. power filter...

odarwin
11-26-2002, 10:56 PM
hello guys... i have a 50 gal tank with 7 small discus all of which are no more than one 1inch in diameter....

i am currently using a power filter for the tank with a couple of driftwoods....

after observing the fish for a couple of days, i notice that they are quite unseasy with the water... when they do swim, their fins move more than usuall....

so which would you all recomend me to use... to just continue with the power filter or should i move to a sponge filter?

-darwin

Denny
11-26-2002, 11:36 PM
darwin

the power filters are a good option and so are the sponges. in fact, you may want to keep the power filter and add a few sponges so as your addiction grows, you will have cycled filters ready when the buy of a lifetime calls.

about the skittish fish, can you give some of your water parameters and also water change schedule, maintainence routine, location of the tank and what else is in the tank? that will help to narrow the possibilities

denny

fcdiscus
11-27-2002, 01:07 AM
I agree Denny! Frank

DarkDiscus
11-27-2002, 10:01 AM
I agree with Denny and Frank. My fish really enjoy the current from the power filter at times and at other times they seek out the pockets with less movement.

The skittishness is probably more likely due to water parameter issues, lighting/shadows or vibration problems. It could also be that the driftwood is leeching something into the water or an unrelated disease issue.

Let us know how things progress.

John

roger
11-27-2002, 11:56 AM
I had a fluval 304 hooked up to a 29 gallon for about 6 weeks. Yes that is overkill and its a bit turbulent as well. I broke the stream up by putting a piece of driftwood down and once I did that the fish settled in. They even seem to occasionaly swim into the current. IMO if it isnt to rough most fish will get used to it.

The 304 is now in a 55 and a 204 is on the 29. That is a much better match for both tanks. I have also added a sponge filter with eyes toward the future.