PDA

View Full Version : discus maintenance

caspias
11-27-2002, 10:36 AM
Hello everyone.....I'm new in discus.I wanna ask about the maintenance for this fish. Are u all always change the water daily?? Is it a must ??? I have read in some articles that discus is very sensitive about the water quality.How can u guys maintain the Ph level???
How often do u feed your discus/day ??

Thanks

DarkDiscus
11-27-2002, 11:08 AM
Caspias,

Welcome to the board!

Discus need clean, stable water to grow properly and maintain their health. What your pH is is not so important as if it remains the same all the time.

By doing large daily water changes with aged water, we are able to keep the water clean and the pH at a constant level. My pH is around 7.5 after aging and I do 33-50% daily water changes. You can get away with less, but I am comfortable with it.

When I got my discus, I fed them 6 times a day. I am now feeding them twice a day. I try to vary their diet and use a number of quality, high protein foods to help my fish enhance their colors and maintain health.

My suggestion is to read as much as you can and learn from the many mistakes others have made. This way you can keep your fish happy and healhy.

And, by all means, keep asking questions!

John