PDA

View Full Version : Round 2 with young fish

roger
11-27-2002, 12:15 PM
I originally picked up some fish that ranged in size from 3-4 inches. Within about 6 weeks the 2 largest fish laid eggs but havent done anything since then. They are still in the 29G tank but the remaining 4 fish ended up in the 55.

Round 1
Last week 2 of the 4 paried up (the smallest and the largest) and laid eggs on the filter pipe for my fluval. They had spent almost 2 weeks doing the shake/shimy game with each other. Suffice to say 3 days later and all I had where white eggs. Not a suprise since the fish are on the small/young side. I had removed the last of the eggs on sunday during the water change.

Round 2
Ive been keeping an eye on the pair and they havent lost their breeding color. But they didnt spend hardly a moment doing the shake/shimy. So I was suprised yesterday when I got home to have eggs on the tube again. I got up this morning and was suprised to see that none of the eggs have turned white. Ill save getting hopes up untill I get home tonight which should be about the 24 hour mark.

There are a couple of questions that I have.

Since I missed the actuall egg laying in all 3 cases which fish usually takes care of the eggs?

If I get home tonight and dont have any white eggs what sort of timeline am I looking at and what can I expect to be hapening.

Ill post a few pictures of the two teenagers so that you can get a look at them. I get the feeling they had RSG blood due to the color and the shape.

Peace
Roger

roger
11-27-2002, 12:28 PM
I think I also figured out why the 1st pair never did lay anymore eggs. Last night I realised that I have a bag of peat in the fluval 304 but not in the new filter thats on that tank. I did a quick check last night and if I did this right the peat lowers pH a bit but it also seems to lower the gH as well. The kH and gH here in florida are a bit on the high side.

Ill be testing that theory out as well since I really want this pair to breed.

Dennis_Hardenburge
11-28-2002, 12:03 AM
Roger
You are right the peat lowering the ph and a little on the hardness probably induced the pair to spawn.
If the eggs are fertilized they will hatch into wigglers in 68 to 78 hours depending on temp, quite frequently at this time the pair will move them to a different location, in another 70 to 80 hours the fry will start to freeswim.
Both parents will care for the eggs and fry.
Good luck
Dennis

roger
11-28-2002, 12:21 AM
Here is a picture at ground zero. This is what I came home to the other night.

Anyone have any thoughts as to the bloodline of this one?

roger
11-28-2002, 12:23 AM
Heres a pic from 24 hours later

The last time through I had that many white eggs after 12 hours.

Not the best pic in the world but it does the job.

11-28-2002, 01:19 AM
Roger: Your female is fine, the eggs are not scattering all over. She will imporve for the next few spawns. If the eggs stays amber after 24 hours and then turning white. That means it's time to give her a breeding tank with correct parameters. They're ready.
Jimmy.

roger
11-28-2002, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the advice Jimmy.

All the eggs that where left this morning where white. So during this evenings water change I got rid of the eggs and re-arranged the tank a little. Hopefully I can get them to stop breading on the filter pipe. If they go 3 for 3 then Ill try adding another pipe (small piece of pvc) and attaching it to the back wall or just disconnect the top of the pipe from the filter itself.

I picked one hell of a day to run out of peat to work with so Ill be out shopping for some of that tomorrow. Im also going shopping for a 25gallon trashcan or something to age the water in. Id like to be able to age/treat more than a 5 gallon bucket at a time. I would move the fish but I dont have the tank space at the moment, if I do manage wrigglers I can dived the tank with a piece of plastic egg crate and mesh.

Peace
Roger