PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Good Net

Willie
11-27-2002, 11:36 PM
All my old nets have gradually disintegrated. Finding good ones is not easy. My old nets were soft. All the new ones are hard, even after soaking. I'm also looking for something with a fine mesh so the fish doesn't get their spines stuck. I've tried the standard mail order stuff, even the more expensive Python brands. They're all stiff. Any ideas?

Willie

fcdiscus
11-27-2002, 11:50 PM
Try Florida Fish farms. I forget their internet address, but it is listed as a place under where to get meds. They have a vast array of nets. Frank

Jeff
11-28-2002, 12:08 AM
Willie,

The best nets I have found are made by Goodnet. They are soft and very fine meshed. Danny from Discusfantasy.com and myself both use and like them. They last a long time. I will try to find sources for them.

saints27
11-28-2002, 06:34 AM
try using stockings,great for babies not all that good for adults , You could try going to a fabric shop and buying netting material and make your own.
You can usually find nice soft netting.
Not that i go to fabric shops its just what my wife tells me.LOL

Jamie

Discusgeo
11-28-2002, 08:39 AM
Willie try Aquarium Pros for Great professional quality wood-handled nets
with wooden handles. The price is only around $6.00 for one with a 6 inch handle. Heres the link, but I haven't needed to order them but my friend does and they seem to work very well. At least you don't have to worry about the thing bending with you lift those heavy Discus.

http://www.aquariumpros.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=APG&Product_Cod e=TAM00101&Category_Code=ATfn

http://www.aquariumpros.com

George

11-28-2002, 12:43 PM
I like the python nets

You can soak them in bleach for weeks PP, ETC..

They will not tear rip or fall apart!

HTH
TakeCare
Cary

11-28-2002, 12:53 PM
I too like my Python (I believe its Python... black net blue handle?).. Only have one tho. Will be getting more from Santa......

Julz

11-28-2002, 11:56 PM
No nets better than the two god gave you...... I have had better luck with python's not very soft but easy to catch the fish and once caught they don't flip around at all....

Willie
11-29-2002, 08:09 PM
Thanks everyone. I have Pythons myself but am still looking for something softer.

Willie

Fish_Fin-atic
11-30-2002, 07:53 PM
I've made my own excellent quality nets in the past. Very, very easy too. Just get yourself a coat-hanger (wire kind obviously ::)) and unwind it, and straighten it out as much as you can and remove any old paint from the wire using steel wool or sandpaper. Then just use a vice to clamp the wire while you hammer on it to form the net shape. I make mine rectangular, but I've made triangular, and circular ones in the past too (no vice needed for circular shape). It should take you about 5 minutes to fashion the frame of the net. I paint mine with a non-toxic water-repelant paint - you can make it whatever colour you want, but I find that black doesn't spook fish as much as other colours.

Then, make a trip to your local fabric store and find some mesh material. I recently got enough material to make 100 or more nets for about $10. The material is silky soft, and has very tiny pores. It's perfect not only for Discus, but very small tetras etc., as well. The fabric I got was white, but a little fabric colour (availlable at Michaels or other craft stores) fixed that. All I do is cut the net to shape, wrap the ends around the frame, and hand sew it on...and trust me - I know NOTHING about sewing, but the nets end up looking very professional. I'll add a short wooden dowel as a handle if I want it to look even better (usually a handle is needed because there is just enough coat hanger wire for the mouth of the net). As a precaution, I boil my nets to get rid of excess paint/dye/smells and I don't use the net until a week after it's dried out thoroughly. One of these days I'll start posting pictures of this stuff, good luck! 8)

Denny
11-30-2002, 09:09 PM
they are like jeans or baseball gloves, the old ones always fit and feel better but some times you need to break in a new one. :smash:

i don't know what type is the best but i just bought one the other day that is 7"x 10", which should be more comfortable than my old ones 1/3 that size. it fits over my sons head without much problem.plus it had a discus on the wrapper so it has to be good ;)

i have been using the barehand method lately with good results too.

denny

Willie
11-30-2002, 10:44 PM
Fish_fin_atic: You really are a fish fanatic! :D :D

DJ: I'll have to test all the new nets on young children and report back to you. ;D ;D

Willie