PDA

View Full Version : Electronic Water Testers

njdiscus
11-28-2002, 12:03 AM
Can anyone tell me a good (inexpensive) place to order water testers? I'm looking for PH and TDS testers.

Thanks!

fcdiscus
11-28-2002, 03:52 AM
I have found the Milwaukee (sharp) meters to be pretty good. I would also recommend a conductivity meter over a tds meter. Available for a reasonable price at Drsfostersmith.com. Frank

RandalB
11-29-2002, 04:30 PM
Njdiscus,
I have a few Hanna Instruments "Primo" TDS testers coming in, I could let one go for $25.00 plus shipping. They are autocalibrating and temperature adjusting w/auto power off. Let me know if you are interested.

RandalB

Aquatic_Design
11-30-2002, 08:08 AM
njdiscus,
I'm with Frank on the conductivity meter instead of the TDS. I use a Pinpoint conductivity meter. It works very well.
JMO
Donna :)

njdiscus
11-30-2002, 11:13 AM
Where can I get a conductivity tester then? And how much do they usually cost?

Thanks everyone!

Mark

RandalB
11-30-2002, 12:06 PM
Just FYI,
The hand held Conductivity meters and TDS testers that we all are using are essentally the same thing. The TDS testers perform an additonal calculation to arrive at TDS.

Read this thread for more info:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=287

NJdiscus: just trying to save you a few $$

RandalB

11-30-2002, 12:28 PM
Randal ;D

I agree 110%....conductivity meters and TDS meters are the same thing (on the low end hobbiest scale) they both read the same thing, conductivity! With a simple conversion factor built into the TDS meter.

Tony

RandalB
11-30-2002, 01:43 PM
Tony,
Welcome aboard!

RandalB

11-30-2002, 03:16 PM
Ive been here right from the start Randal.....I just tend to wander off from time to time.... ;D ask Prilly...she thinks Im WACKED :crazy:
Actually.....I probably am....

Tony

Don_Lee
11-30-2002, 06:57 PM
I chose a conductivity meter after reading that the science community was considering a phase out of the TDS reading....either way, can't beat Randall's price of $25 for a Hanna. I have a Hanna pH/Conducitiviy meter and love it!

Don ;D

njdiscus
11-30-2002, 07:22 PM
Don,

Where did you get the Hanna ph/conductivity combo tester? I'll probably get the combo meter if it's available.

Thanks!

Don_Lee
11-30-2002, 09:41 PM
Gosh, wish I could remember where I bought it, it was over the net. I would try to get ahold of Randall, I am sure he could get one for a good price.

Don ;D

njdiscus
11-30-2002, 11:40 PM
Randal,

Any suggestions on where i can get a combo (ph and conductivity) tester?

Thanks!

Mark

12-01-2002, 12:31 AM
hey Mark,

I have one of Randalls TDS meters and I'll tell you what it really is...All they are is conductivity meters that multiply the conductivity by a fudge factor (approximately .5 in this case) to make an approximation of the TDS. A true TDS meter sells for no less than a few hundred dollars as it is a complicated process. So, just get this TDS meter and if you need the conductivity, multiply the TDS by two and you get the real reading it's takin in the first place. I bought mine from Randal and couldn't be happier....go for it...it's the best of both worlds. There was a thread about it a while back, so search for it if you need the science of it all.

Brad

RandalB
12-01-2002, 12:55 AM
Mark

I'm not sure that my wholesaler carries the combo meters, But I sure can ask. They had a special on the "Primo" meters that I took advantage of. I'll give them a call Monday and Let you know.

RandalB

Glad that meter is working out for you Brad!! I love the one I Kept for myself!

Tin Pusher
12-02-2002, 05:42 PM
$25 plus shipping. Put me down for one RandalB. Send me instructions. I recently signed up for PayPal if that helps. Could also use a pH tester. Any available?

RandalB
12-02-2002, 06:49 PM
OK All,
I have a call in to the wholesaler who is checking for the following meters:

Ph, Ph/TDS combo, Temp/Ph/TDS and TDS

I'll let you know when I get some info.

RandalB

dm
12-02-2002, 08:11 PM
I'm interested too. Please let me know when you get word. Thanks.

njdiscus
12-02-2002, 09:49 PM
Randal,

Should I be expecting some kick-back from all the attraction from this thread? ;)

Let me know what you find out from the wholesaler. I want one too.

Thanks!

Mark

RandalB
12-02-2002, 10:12 PM
Mark,
If I was making any money on these things I'd give you one ;D

The wholesaler is closed for the evening now so I guess I'll have wait until tomorrow

RandalB

jsojda
12-03-2002, 02:35 PM
Count me in too RandalB. I need one of those TDS meters but could be persuded (sp) on a combo meter.

12-03-2002, 08:07 PM
where's my kickback for all the selling i've done for ya Randal???

lol...he's not really making much off of these anyway, it's more of a service in my opinion. Much cheaper than anywhere else...

Brad

farm41
12-04-2002, 11:12 AM
The Hanna combo meter is being sold over here.

http://www.apistogramma.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611

Mine is supposed to be here tomorrow.

Matt

RandalB
12-05-2002, 01:40 AM
All right everyone!

I have compiled a list of Hanna instrument meters that discus people would be interested in for my wholesaler. The President of the company is calling Hanna tomorrow for me to get the best prices available. I have inquired about:

Temp meters
TDS Meters/Conductivity meters
(Yes I know they are essentially the same thing)
Ph Meters
Ph/Temp/Tds Combos

And........GASP!!
Nitrite/Ammonia Low Range. :o

I have no knowledge about the Ammonia/Nitrite testers as far as pricing or accuracy go. I'll be trying to get full data sheets on these before I offer to get them for people. If they are good and cheap might be a nice thing to have. If anyone has experience using them please comment, positive or negative.

As soon as I get some numbers I'll let everyone know.

Right now I have 10 R/O units I need to put together! BUSY BUSY BUSY

RandalB

PS: Brad; the Check is in the mail LOL ::)

Tin Pusher
12-05-2002, 04:14 AM
Good work RandalB :)

lub0
12-06-2002, 05:22 PM
Any news on the prices?

Lub0

RandalB
12-10-2002, 05:30 PM
Hi all!

OK the news is:

That link above that is selling the Combo HI98129 Meters (TDS pH and temp) is about my cost; $130.00 and she is including calibration solutions so that is a good deal.

The Combo pH and Temp meters are as follows:

HI98127 pH and Temp with 0.1 pH Accuracy and +- .5 Degree temp:
$75.00 Plus shipping

HI98128 pH and Temp with 0.01 pH accuracy and +- .5 Temp:
$85.00 Plus shipping

I am still waiting on an order of "Primo" TDS meters (Should be in Friday Scott!) for $25.00 plus shipping

No word on the Ammonia and Nitrite meters, I should know in the next couple of Days.

The problem is that my wholesaler does not normally carry these so no large quantity discounts like the TDS meters that are normally stocked.

Thanks for the patience, I've been sick as a dog :puke:

RandalB

RandalB
12-24-2002, 04:49 PM
Hi All,
I got a small shipment of the Hanna Primo TDS meters in.

$25.00 each +$5 for USPS Priority mail shipping

Anyone interested,
E-mail me at Rbogath@aol.com

RandalB

PS I am STILL waiting on the Ammonia/Nitrite meter prices Sigh.. Can't get anything done around the holidays

Discusgeo
12-24-2002, 08:52 PM
That's a good deal Randal is selling those TDS meters for. That's about half price compared to what I seen on the Web. Don't forget to bug him for calibration fluid in about a month.
George

RandalB
12-24-2002, 10:11 PM
George, It comes with one pack of fluid, so they Don't need to bug me for two months! LOL

Happy Holidays all!
RandalB

Liz_Streithorst
12-24-2002, 10:27 PM
Randal,

Are the pH/temp meters the type with the seperate wand probe or the "pen" type. My Hanna pen type ph meter just gave up the ghost after about 8 months. I understand that the other type are much more long lasting.

Liz

farm41
12-25-2002, 03:45 AM
I believe the probe is supposed to be calibrated before use, so that would mean another packet is needed in a month.

My Hanna tester HI 98129 is supposed to be done that way.

Discusgeo
12-25-2002, 09:50 AM
Well I was expecting Randal to say he was sold out by now and everyone was wanting calibration fluid for them. I think Randal is doing a great service for those who need a TDS meter. At his price you should be buying a pair 1 for backup. Stock up on fluid Randal.

RandalB
12-25-2002, 05:17 PM
Hi all and Happy Holidays,

Liz, These are the pen types. If you want a wand type, send me a Hanna Instrument Item# and I'll get the wholesaler to get a price for you.

As of this writing I have 2 Meters left (They go real quick!) Please send that e-mail if you are interested.

DiscusGeo,
I've found them to be pretty close to dead on straight from the factory. I think they calibrate them before they ship. I am checking on the calibration fluid. I've never calibrated mine, but I only use it as a benchmark for my RO unit and for establishing the ratio of Tap to RO. If the readings go up too high on the RO unit, I change the Prefilters. I really don't need to know Exactly what the TDS is in my tanks, ballpark is fine for me. But I will definately get prices on calibration fluid.

Happy Holidays,
RandalB

Liz_Streithorst
12-25-2002, 05:32 PM
Holy moly, I donno! Anyone out there have any recomendations as to which Hanna wand type meter is a good one to get? I NEED pH. PH plus temp would be delightful! I know I want one but was counting on using someone elses expertise ;D

Liz

RandalB
12-25-2002, 06:02 PM
Liz,

www.Hannainst.com is a good place to start, I don't have one personally, so I can't recommend one.

RandalB

Liz_Streithorst
12-25-2002, 06:59 PM
Randal,

If its not too much trouble would you check on HI 991000 and HI 9210N? I have no idea if these are reasonably priced or out of sight. If they are too rich for me maybe you'll still have one of the others left. What I was told in another thread was that the pen type meters have a small amount of liquid in the probe. A tiny bit of it is used each time you turn on the meter and when the liquid runs out the probe is shot and you have to buy a new one >:( Aparently the same is not the case with the TDS meters as they work differently. Thanks for taking the time to help us all out.

Liz

RandalB
12-25-2002, 11:02 PM
Liz, I'll be happy to check those out for you.

Yes, TDS meters use two metal probes to determine TDS. I think that at least one of the Hanna pen Ph meters uses a replaceable cartrige though. I'm pretty sure their remote probe units use a replaceable cartridge.

Anyway, I'll give them a call and find out for you.
RandalB