PDA

View Full Version : When does discus poop?

h317
11-30-2002, 01:52 AM
Must be the silliest question in the world ...

When does discus poop? The reason I asked is that I don't seem to see them doing it lately (I mean I did sit in front of the tank for the whole evening ). They are eating fine, always come to the front of the tank begging for more food. Do they go right after the meal or some other time?

Lawrence

11-30-2002, 02:08 AM
lawrence: they might be "flushing" right after they're done, so that way you don't notice....hahahaha ;D

sorry...all joking aside....didn't you say you had plants and stuff in your tank?? if they're eating, they're probably "going" and you just don't notice it...

ferrax
11-30-2002, 10:23 AM
mine ususally do it right after feeding time or even during feeding time

EthanCote.com
11-30-2002, 03:01 PM
It is a filthy habit, but mine does it during and after feeding...at least they wash their fins afterward.

Doh, time for a water change ;)

Also depending on your water current, poop tend to get gather in one particular spots....so I would look around.

Also since you have plants, most likely its hidden among the gravels.

Cheers,

Chi.

Al_M.
11-30-2002, 04:08 PM
Give them A good feeding of their favorite food, wait about 10 minutes then do a large water change. this should do it, it does for me about 99% ofthe time.
:D Al M.

Denny
11-30-2002, 09:02 PM
i was wondering if they ever stopped?

denny

fcdiscus
11-30-2002, 09:25 PM
Did you remember to take the cork out before you put them in the tank? ;D Frank

h317
11-30-2002, 11:22 PM
Would you guys get worry if you haven't seen them doing it for weeks? I don't know why but I used to see that when they first got here. Just want to save some gray hair :-\

Lawrence

Denny
12-01-2002, 12:10 AM
what do you feed them? i find when i feed frozen bloodworms they really get cleaned out.

denny

paulmat
12-01-2002, 04:36 AM
Mine seem to allways do it right after the water change >:(
Paul :guitarist:

Smokey
12-01-2002, 08:33 AM
Hahahahahahahaha---paul... same as mine!

Smokey

Carol_Roberts
12-01-2002, 02:06 PM
. . . . and if you had a nice bare bottom tank you wouldn't have to wonder . . . . you could easily see if they pooped and if the poop appeared normal . . . . .

Carol :heart1:

h317
12-01-2002, 02:17 PM
Here we go again ... bare bottom vs planted tank :)

Maybe I asked the question wrong. I should have asked:

If you disus is active, colorful and eating well, do you care to check their poop?

Carol_Roberts
12-01-2002, 02:39 PM
Generally no, . . . . . unless you're obsessive/ compulsive and, wait a minute, what other types of person would be asking (and answering) a question like this? ( twice, lol)
Carol :heart1:

Willie
12-01-2002, 02:59 PM
25 minutes after morning coffee, just like clockwork.

Willie ;D

12-01-2002, 05:49 PM
It never fails, right after the w/c's.

Miles :)

RichieE
12-02-2002, 12:55 PM
Mostly while they are eating, and right after.Rich

DarkDiscus
12-02-2002, 03:59 PM
Mine also plan things so the minute I am done refilling the tank after a W/C they all make as much of a mess as they can...

John

ronrca
12-02-2002, 04:28 PM
Ive got a poop related question,
Do your discus recycle their waste? :sick: :spit: :puke:

Sometimes I wonder! Some days, there is a lot of waste on the bottom of the tank, other days not! Hmmmm ???

:P

Smokey
12-03-2002, 06:41 PM
Yup, I believe discus recycle their waste... they turn it into dedicated discus hobbiests ! LOL... well I would.. but it is so true. POOP machines to die for!
Heck all my window plants are big and healthy....
Smokey

ronrca
12-03-2002, 07:04 PM
Sorry! I was not specific with my question!

What I meant was do discus eat their feces again? Is that a good sign?

Smokey
12-03-2002, 07:12 PM
Howdy Ron'
Hmmm... nevery seen any of my discus eating their poop. On occassion, one may "inhale" a poop.. but they spit it out pretty quick.
No, I would not think it is a good sign, discus eating poop. One thought comes to mind.. if the 'poop" has worms in it.. might be why(?) .

Smokey

ronrca
12-03-2002, 07:55 PM
Just as I thought, Smokey! Im not saying that they are eating it. I have never seen them do it but like I said, some days there is less feces, other days there is more. Just curious though!

Thanks!

EthanCote.com
12-04-2002, 01:52 AM
Hey Ronrca.

Now that dinner time is over, I can answer that questions... ;)

I have seen on many occassion of my Discus eating poops. I have to admit, it is not one of the prettiest sight one can beheld but they do what comes naturally.

Regardless of how much I feed them, they still do it. But thanks god they do not do it as often. They seems to know which poop still retains the good stuffs since they seems to pick and choose what they re-consume.

HTH.

Cheers,

Chi.

ronrca
12-04-2002, 11:09 AM
Hmmmm! Not a good thing! I guess that may be a disadvantage of a barebottom! :o :argue: :whip: How dare you say that!!! >:( :whip: :whip:

Therefore, this being the case, it is best to vacuum the feces up more times a day than just once a day!

h317
12-04-2002, 11:30 AM
If a discus eats its own poop because thre are 'delicious' food remains in it, is it a sign of digestive problem?

yellow sub
12-04-2002, 12:08 PM
What a topic, its a good thing I already had my morning coffee :o

But seriously though I would keep an eye on it, you could try feeding some brine shrimp and see in the next day or so if it poops. Is it eating? Does it have a blockage? If you think its just constipation, then you can try useing epsom salts. I wouldn't get too worried unless you start to see the classic white stringy poops, then its time for metro.

Stephen

EthanCote.com
12-04-2002, 04:23 PM
The bottom line is,

If you see food going into their system, then it is safe to assume the food will be coming out of their system as well.

;D ;D ;D

Cheers,

Chi.

ronrca
12-04-2002, 04:30 PM
ROFL! :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny:

Now that was funny Chi!

The bottom line Pun perhaps!

Serious now! I would think that it is not a good thing for discus to eat their feces. I remember reading a topic about bacteria, good and bad, were present in it. Of course, if there is hex in the tank, oh oh!