PDA

View Full Version : discus striation

west
11-30-2002, 11:50 PM
how do u prevent discus from losing their striataion i.e become solid color?

April
12-01-2002, 12:29 AM
its genetic. buy a striated one..from striated parents?
try maybe a red turquoise. you shoudl get your striations.
what colour is your discus?

west
12-01-2002, 01:04 AM
hi april

my blue ss turn solid blue dun think is genetics

12-01-2002, 01:14 AM
West

Striation and coloration is PURELY genetic and determined upon fertilization of the egg. If your snakeskin turned solid blue...then it wasnt a pure snakeskin to begin with....Possibly a snake x blue diamond or something similar. Or possibly not a snakeskin at all.

Tony

April
12-01-2002, 01:16 AM
well...alot of blue snakeskins were made with bd x snakes if i remember correctly..so .took after the bd. alot of people want those..solid bodies with just the gills and the fins striated.
snakes are very tricky at best of times. only about 25 percent of each spawn sometimes become snakeskins.
the rest rt or solid....

12-01-2002, 10:58 AM
Right Pril

It could also be a genetic throwback.....back to the original question though....there is nothing that can be done to turn a solid into a striated...or turn a striated into a solid. Its genetic. Even if a particular fish starts out striated and turns solid as it matures(such as solid cobalt) It was meant to be from the start.....not environmental.

Tony

April
12-01-2002, 11:26 AM
yes...and that may well be what he has. a nice cobalt.
thats how they go.

Willie
12-01-2002, 03:10 PM
West;

Its quite common for snakeskins to go solid as they become adults. The striations in snakeskins often blend together with age. Unfortunately, there's nothing to be done about that. High quality young snakeskins are readily available by high quality adult snakeskins are rare.

The same thing happens to lots of leopards. As they get bigger, the spots connect and you lose that wonderful spotted pattern.

Willie