PDA

View Full Version : wildreds from a lfs

April
12-02-2002, 08:56 PM
ok......heres some wild reds from our local fish store in vancouver. these unfortuneately are not mine. they were scooped by a guy here............before we could get them. waaaaaaaaa.
so.......their gonna try reorder. if their on the list.
glenn these are the ones that were sold when you went .
how much you think these would cost? or how much do you guys think they are worth? better question.
lets have some fun.
dont you think april deserves some of these for xmas?
yes.............or no? LOL.
suppose they would go good with my manas x alencer..or........my wild red x alencers from mike?

nalah
12-02-2002, 09:14 PM
April
cant believe your lfs sell discus like this...WOW!!!. very nice.
get some... and get a couple for me..LOL

April
12-02-2002, 09:16 PM
how much pascale.you think for you to get them over there?

12-02-2002, 09:21 PM
Well well well, Here it goes again. To buy or not to buy? The question of keeping wild pop up in my mind once again. thanks to the Flowerhorn I recently keep in my Cichlid tank for 30 years. He eventually finish up all the Cichlid except 2 smart ones which hide among the rocks. I soon have an 65 gal empty tank for the Wilds with drift woods, fake plants and full of rocks. Those wild are beautiful. Probably cost 75-90 dollars a peice. they worth it.
Jimmy.

nalah
12-02-2002, 09:39 PM
April
to my knowledge,you cannot buy wilds in lfs. as yet,i have found no breeders either in nsw with wilds. just a guess here..... around 200.00 AUD for 2-3 in fish.

April
12-02-2002, 09:44 PM
Jimmy..i think you should. and that flowerhorn ought to move out!!!!
i can tell you..that those fish are far cheaper than the other places.
did you see my wilds i posted in the photogallery?
also from the same lfs.
i'll post the price later.
you just need some nice males..Jimmy to get togeather with your domestics.

12-02-2002, 10:17 PM
April: It was cheap a few years back. My bother in-law got some Wild Green for under $50.00 about 4 years ago in BC. He lives in Richmond area. They were nice and round and almost completely yellow. I bought 2 back and they had whirling disease and finally bang their head up and died. That's why I'm very unlucky with wilds and very reluctant to get into it again. I've wiped out so many times on Wilds and it's not fun at all. $400+/Curipera. I'll probably get 6 $2400.00 and get wipe out onernight. That's the nightmare I'm afraid of dreaming.
Jimmy.

April
12-02-2002, 10:23 PM
well.jimmy i can tell you few years ago..a friend here who used to post..rebecca bought 50 . and hers all got whirling disease supposedly.
most likely form the same time and place.
but..i have got them now last season and fine. lost none.
but.the year before which was two seasons ago i had one whirl.
so.i say go for it.
bt maybe try with some lower price ones first? although i want one of those curipuras also.
and a royal blue. ;D
but i have not lost any since last year. so try it.

12-02-2002, 10:31 PM
April:Talk to an Asian breeder to day. He uses a domestic male and cross with Wild Heckle female to produce F1 Heckel cross with a prominant middle bar. The parameters are set for the domestic male not the Heckle that requires low PH 4.5. They use 6.8. Never thought of that.
Jimmy.

April
12-02-2002, 10:35 PM
hmmm....isnt that usually the other way around? as most heckel females are hard to get to lay?
sounds interesting.

Dennis_Hardenburge
12-02-2002, 10:42 PM
April
Very nice.
You have a local fish shop that has fish like that and you want me to meet you half way and give you my fish.
Shops in my area don't even have Discus let alone any thing like those beauties.
Dennis

April
12-02-2002, 10:44 PM
LOL dennis.yes ,....i want your curipuras . but i am willing to wait for your first spawn!!
i have gotten all my wilds from that lfs.
prices ...bearing in mind....cad....from 50 - 120. for royal blue.

12-02-2002, 10:45 PM
Dennis,
Same here! Our lfs would not know a good fish if it hit them upside the head.

Miles

12-03-2002, 01:00 AM
April: I've reserved the first spawn and the first born. Dennis will mark that one with a red dot. I'll check the LFS. "North American Fish Breeder"next week. He never bred one single fish and is in Toronto. He's been importing from Brazil for over 25 years. All his discus died in my tank within a year and I don't know why people keep comming back for more. Perseverance or stupidity?? It's hard to draw the line.
Jimmy.

April
12-03-2002, 01:06 AM
wow jimmy. id say try another source .
ive gotten my wild males to fertilize
and got some wigglers. but only a few cause of fungus. so i;ll let you know next spawn. got a wild green in with my mana. their getting along great.

limige
12-03-2002, 09:26 AM
this is a pic of a wild spotted tefe' i picked up at a lfs, he has about 10 others left not very spotted though. he gets some in every now and again from bankok.

other than a bacterial infection cary helped me clear up he's perfectly healthy! the lfs has had them for about 6 months.

Debo
12-03-2002, 09:55 AM
I am glad that my LFS doesn't carry great fish like that! I would have to get another job ;D But it is a fight when I go in there not to save all the thin unhappy looking ones :'( I almost gave in to one they called a super red. It was barely a 2 inchs. Thin as a rail with hugh eyes ::) Only 60.00 ???
Deb

Francisco_Borrero
12-03-2002, 11:00 AM
April, those are very nice fish indeed. I would be curious of how much they are asking.
I have not seen any like those at stores this year yet, but last year I saw a few nice fish, including plain greens, browns, blues and heckels and the prices ranged U$69.95-89.95. However, I was able to get some for much less, including 2 heckels and 2 blues in very rough shape. I bought them for $12.99 each (less than they bought them for, as they appeared dying). I lost one, but the other 3 are now looking mighty nice.
I saw Oliver Lucanus' site last night, including the newest gallery of this years' crop.....outstanding !!!!!! both in quality and in price. Simply amazing animals. I love them but can't afford them.

12-03-2002, 12:31 PM
Woowoo!! $12.99/each. That's my price range. Smart LFS. The store I know will never drop the price. They rather let them die in the tank and not willing to give them away. They already factored in the price of their fish. I wonder how much do they cost now. A freind of mine brought some back from Brazil only a few dollars each for the Browns and Greens, not the fancy type of course. He has to buy an importer licence for $20.00 to get them in.
Jimmy.

DarkDiscus
12-03-2002, 01:05 PM
I need to get me some of these wilds that everyone else seems to have such access to! My next trip to Florida I think that the wild importers are going to get a visit!

John

wo
12-03-2002, 01:27 PM
Hi April,

Really nice discus on the picture. What is the price for the red discus?

Thanks!

April
12-03-2002, 07:19 PM
well....i was told by the guy who orders them in...this guy paid 45.oo cad for them. not that i will get them for that..but if i go the first day....good possibility now he told me thats what he paid. 10.00 profit after their shipping etc.
although...i have been imformed their browns...or alencers. and maybe...that pic is also a bit to the redder side...as other things that arent red are looking kinda pink. but nonetheless...i like them. and look nice shape.
These fish do come out of florida..at ornamentals. so...im sure they coudl be had down there in florida.
yes i also saw olivers fish this year. love them to bits. but dont really love the prices....