PDA

View Full Version : Lift Tubes on Hydro Sponges

fcdiscus
12-02-2002, 09:13 PM
I removed all the lift tubes on my Hydro/ Azoo/ Orca sponge filters. Does anyone think they really make a difference in performance? Frank

Pick
12-02-2002, 09:23 PM
Yes it does make a difference. How much is the real question. I think they will work fine without them. The longer the lift tube the more water is pulled through the filter for each bubble of air.

TC

12-02-2002, 10:34 PM
Frank,
I forget how they figure water draw through those lift tubes. But I know the longer the lift, the better. I agree with what TC said.

Miles

fcdiscus
12-02-2002, 11:55 PM
But do you guys think it outweighs the advantage of being able to clean the air hose much easier if it is off? I must have about 70 of them, and it makes the convenience much better. Frank

Pick
12-03-2002, 12:01 AM
Frank,

I don't run any of my tanks with Hydro sponges alone - except for a day or two for fry to attach. The rest of the time there are Aqua Clears running. If you have no other filtration why not try leaving the lift tube on about half of them and check for nitrites after 3 or 4 days with your regular WC routine. If there is no change then take some more off. etc. If you do have additional biological filtration just leave them all off for a few days and check for rises in nitrites (or ammonia).

TC

12-03-2002, 12:52 PM
Venturi principle. As the bubble going through a narrow tube, more negative pressure is being generated as the bubbles expand and rise to the surface.More water will be pulled in through the filter as the velocity increases. The negative pressure is lost without the tube. I use without the tube. Don't not why? My water stay clean. That's good enough.
Jimmy.