PDA

View Full Version : Steel Shelf from Costco

DHDiscusMan
12-02-2002, 10:36 PM
Safe to hold some tanks? Opinions please...

This is the text that Costco has about the shelving...

This commercial four-shelf unit can easily make any space organized. Assembles without tools and each shelf interlocks for a multitude of configurations.
48" Wide Unit

Clear coated chrome finish

Four heavy-duty center truss 48" x 18" adjustable shelves

Four 4" x 48" retainer edges

600 lbs. capacity per shelf

4" commercial wheels and leveling feet

Units can link together to build a larger storage system

Dimensions: 48" W x 18" L x 72" H (76" H with casters attached)

Weight: 80 lbs.

Has anyone used a shelf like this for tanks?

Thanks

Dan

12-02-2002, 10:42 PM
Dan,
Would be one heck of a bang if it fails. I am trying to get ahold of some K-racks. They will hold anything almost. I have seen them hold two end to end 135's and do just fine. But to be honest about it I would rather not try costco shelfs. Water weighs how much a lb.?

Good Luck
Miles

DHDiscusMan
12-02-2002, 10:46 PM
Their quote says it holds 600 per shelf. I think water is less than 10 per so I'm thinking about my 45 and 55 on one rack. Wouldn't do four high.

If someone has info on industrial shelfs or where to find them I'd apprecaite some tips.

Thanks.

Dan

April
12-02-2002, 11:00 PM
ive seen those...and i say no way
especially with wheels
you need more like the shelving they use for their stock
my friend got some that hold 4500 pounds. and those work.
herb.....show your pic.
if you used the whole space...48x18 wide is 90 gallon..and thatd be 900 pounds. and if you used them for a 45...with the glass itd be still 500 pounds. .id be worried.

Denny
12-02-2002, 11:16 PM
dan

if you have a sams club in your area you can get gorilla racks, which are similar to those but substantially heavier duty for alot less money. they have a footprint of 18x48x82" and will make you more confident

denny

mench
12-02-2002, 11:24 PM
Home depot has 18x72x72 heavy duty shelfs that I used for my new fish room.They work great,and each shelf is rated to hold 3500 lbs,they are like the shelving units at Sams or BJ's to hold all the products only on a smaller level.E-mail me and I will send ya all the info that you will need for Home Depot.And they are onlyu $89 each.

Mench

April
12-02-2002, 11:34 PM
cool mench . can you email me?
might save me alot of work. : )
never mind i will email you. lol

12-03-2002, 12:23 AM
Costco do have the Gorrila shelves.
I was going to go with these but they are just a bit short for my 80 gals.
Don't trust things on wheels.

Steve_Warner
12-03-2002, 04:08 AM
Hi all,
Dan, I WOULD NOT USE those racks for tanks! They are made for things like food storage in kitchens so you could roll it around. We have hundreds at my work(Strip Hotel) and I would NEVER put a tank on them! You could try WW Grainger for shelving......they have a great selection. Also, there are several industrial supply shops on the net to look under. I would think you could get a good deal on the net, even with the freight charge to ship it to you! Just my opinion.

Steve

RichieE
12-03-2002, 12:37 PM
Dont use it.

roger
12-03-2002, 02:05 PM
Water weighs something like 7.8 lbs/gall and I think for the short term you could put a tank on a stand like that. I just dont know what it would do in the long run.

Also those stands aren't exactly flat so you would need to put something on the shelf to make it flat. I saw a breeder who used cheapo ceiling tiles for that purpos on his wooden stands.

Peace
Roger

mench
12-03-2002, 02:29 PM
Guys,and gals,I don't think anything can beat the shelfs from Home Depot!!! here are some pics from my setup...( I hope) :P 8) The top is a 55 and the bottom is a 75,I didn't have the headroom to go three high.I have a friend who put two 3 ft tanks on each shelf and went 3 high for 6 tanks on each unit. IMO ya can't go wrong with these units.

Mench

Also don't worry about weight,each shelf is rated for 3500 lbs!!!!!

lkleung007
12-03-2002, 03:15 PM
Hey Mench;

Unfortunately; I have been unable to locate shelving units like that from my local Home Depot. The strongest shelves they have are rated for 1500lbs per shelf and is only 48X24X84. It looks like the shelving unit you have runs 5 ft long and is much stronger that the unit they sell here in Maryland.

I did buy a similar unit from Iowa and it has worked out well for me. I love the PVC piping that you have attached to your tanks; how does it work exactly??

Regards, Lester

RichieE
12-03-2002, 05:18 PM
Lester, Ive found Home Depot to be very accomadating. If Mench was able to get it at a store in his area the one in yours can probally get it for you. You might have to press them a little but it just takes them a phone call. They might tack on a few bucks as a special order. The rateing on this shelf (3500 LBS) is more what your looking for when it comes to holding water. I would go to the added trouble of screwing it into a beam or two if its going against the wall. Might not be necessary but I like to play it safe. Rich

mench
12-03-2002, 06:01 PM
Rich,I really don't think that any anchoring is necessary but do what ya think best.

Mench

Smokey
12-03-2002, 07:05 PM
Very nice setup..

Smokey

paulmat
12-03-2002, 07:31 PM
I use the Home Depot shelving and they work great.
They put them on sale from time to time and the 4 ft.go for 59.00

Paul :guitarist:

mench
12-03-2002, 11:12 PM
Lester,the piping is used to drain and fill the tanks.The drain works on the siphon system,I open the valve and the water drains out the pvc down to my sump pump.I then close the valve and close the valve going to the sump pump,then hook up the hose from the faucet to the pvc,turn on the water and then open the valve to fill.Yep I use just water right out of the tap.With the breeders,I have ro water in 2,55gal drums and hook a pump to the pvc.It is nice and easy and NO MORE BUCKETS!!! ;D

Mench

Steve_Warner
12-04-2002, 03:21 AM
Hi all,
Ok Mench, enough bragging about your excellent tap water ;D I'm not jealous or anything >:( Anyway, that looks like a sweet setup, wish the wifey would let me do something like that in our backyard.......maybe I could hide it in the "Jordan room" behind a bunch of posters ;) The shelving is great for those types of setups, too. I would think that nice racking like that could be had on the net or at an industrial equipment supply house for a smokin' price too! By the way, nice pic of the yellow hotrod, what is it?

Steve

limige
12-04-2002, 08:33 AM
hey, if your looking to do large tanks with a 72x24" base then look at grainger. they carry pallet shelving for industrial shops.

these things hold incredible amounts of weight like 8,000 lbs a shelf or something and come in a 72x48" base. so with one unit you can hold 2 190's on each shelf 3 shelves high if you like!!

the ends cost $45 each and each crossbar cost $35 each or maybe pair not sure.

anyway, that was the light duty one's!!!lol
the heavy duty is just sillly.

limige
12-04-2002, 08:34 AM
mench, what about chlorine issue's? do you have a well or something with unreal low hardness?

mench
12-04-2002, 08:51 AM
So far no chlorine and the hardness is about 250 to 300 ms,which is no problem.I have had them spawn in the large tanks with this water,PH is 7.1 to 7.5.Tap water has been ok for the last 3 yrs.

Steve..just tell Marci that you REALLY,REALLY,REALLY NEED the racks and you will be her bestest friend and will take her anywhere she wants to go on vac.etc,etc...In other words BEG,BEG,BEG. The car is a 32 roadster owned by Gary Medors,who owns the Goodguys car show co.I have posters of cars,girls with cars,that a friend brought back from the SEAMA show and other posters of fish.We WILL be at next yrs SEAMA show in late Oct.so we can make plans for dinner with you and your bride when we get there....you should have your new racks and setup by then,that is if you do the proper begging....

Mench

DarkDiscus
12-04-2002, 09:23 AM
Ron,

You have posters of cars, girls with cars and fish.

All you need are pictures of girls with fish, pictures of Michael Jordan and pictures of Michael and girls to make things complete...

;)

John

lkleung007
12-04-2002, 12:33 PM
Hey Mench;

Very nice indeed...I would love to set something like that up also...I am just concerned about using water straight from the tap as it is much colder and with a much lower pH that the water that is already in the tanks!! But I will try to set up a system to at least drain the tanks. I will still need to use a python to suck out the waste from the bottom of the tank though but that still beats carrying the buckets upstairs to dump out on my lawn!! ;)

Regards, Lester

Toothfairy
12-04-2002, 02:06 PM
I use the Costco shelves for my 29 gallon and smaller tanks. Takes 10 minutes to install and re-configurable in the same amount of time. Weight is weight whether it is paper, food, or water. At 8.345 pounds/gallon, I'm not even halfway to the load limit. They are very compact and economical. Can be installed without the caster wheels. Only $59. I've had them for 6 months.

mench
12-04-2002, 07:38 PM
Lester,you can set up a system like that and not use tap water,just use a pump and pump the water from the holding tanks to the piping,thats wat I do for my ro water.

John,If I put up all my MJ posters there wouldn't be room for tanks...LOL

Mench

BoxerDad
12-04-2002, 07:57 PM
Mench,

Do you have those photos of the Home Depot Shelves????

John Apuzza

mench
12-05-2002, 12:44 AM
John,they are on page 1 of this post.

Mench

Rick00
12-05-2002, 03:46 PM
Hi,

You can make a rack out of 2 by 4's and some lagg bolts..
It would be cheaper....

Just an idea :o

Rick