PDA

View Full Version : pvc plumbing

limige
12-03-2002, 09:33 AM
i am setting up a wet/dry filter for my 190 and was wondering, do you guys silicone all the pvc joints or use the pvc cement? (i'm using 1" pvc for my drain to the wet/dry)

also, same thing for setting up a tank drain and fill pipe, is pvc cement safe after it's dry? or use silicone on everything?

12-03-2002, 09:45 AM
I was told by the Simply experts that the pvc cement is safe providing you allow ample drying time. I also soaked them in water for a few days to cut the odor......... No problems at all .:thumbsup:

Julz

RichieE
12-03-2002, 10:56 AM
IME PVC primer and cement are harmless after it has dryed. Just rince water through to be on the safe side. If done correctly there is no need for silicone. Rich

ronrca
12-03-2002, 11:11 AM
Do you need to 'glue' the pieces together at all? Kind of a pain especially if you want to make changes in the future like moving it or something. Will a 'force fit' just work or something?

RichieE
12-03-2002, 06:06 PM
ronrca, In a situation where there is no pressure you might get away with just pushing the pipes into the fittings. If there is a pump involved use the glue.
PVC is cheap and easy to cut and splice into. I dont know if a flood or even a drip is worth takeing a shortcut. I have neve tryed useing PVC without the glue though. Rich

Smokey
12-03-2002, 06:55 PM
howdy;
Here is a trick I learned when cutting pvc piping. If the pvc is cut with a pipe cutter, the end is slightly larger, making for an extremely tight fit. hacksawing the pvc pipe..not as tight.
Like RichieE mentioned.. no line pressure, ... gravity flow, all connections can be friction fit. Slicone on the pipe will elimate any leaks.. and can be disassemblied, or adjusted later.

Smokey

limige
12-03-2002, 07:54 PM
yes some fittings will be siliconed for easy change and removel but some i wanted to cement.

thanks for the replies.

also, i lost my old bookmark, where can i buy the pvc pipe fittings and ball valves in bulk online?

i'm gonna be plumbing my fishroom soon and will need lots and lots of 90 degree fittings and tee's.

again thanks for the replies!

ronrca
12-03-2002, 07:56 PM
I evny you! I hopefully will be constructing a mini rack system in the beginning of the new year. Wish you luck and take lots of pics! I would love to see them! ;)