PDA

View Full Version : salt dip?

Cowboy
12-03-2002, 01:30 PM
I have 10 discus ranging from 3.5 to 6 inches in a 120. One of them has hovered in the top back corner for a solid month now. I never see it eat, yet it isn't fading away, just not keeping pace with the others. It looks good, in fact it has some of the most intense turquoise striations in the tank. It's body is fairly dark. What I am noticing is that it doesn't seem to move it's gills very much. None of the others act this way so I don't think it's spreading. Do I assume it has become the underachiever in the tank or should I try something? Any type of treatment would be totally new to me so keep it simple. I was just wondering if a salt dip would be worth trying? And if so how do I make it
Thanks in advance Todd

Francisco_Borrero
12-04-2002, 11:10 AM
I hope someone will offer advice. The following is strictly my opinnion, or.... what I would do if.....this was going on in my tank.
- if a fish used to be with the others and changes to become a loner hovering atop, and appearing darker.... there is a reason for it. Something is not right with it.
- It sounds as if it is stressed, but don't know why. Has it been harrassed by others ? is that fish at the bottom of the pecking order ?....probably is now.
- Fish who are stressed (by pecking order or otherwise) often become overwhelmed by internal flagellates who were always in the gut, but never bothered too much. Then, they don't eat, don't interact, become dark, frequently but not always poop gelatinous feces. Sounds as if that is happening to your fish.
- Would a salt dip help ? I wouldn't have him go through the stress of catching, dipping, returning, and I dou't think a dip will do much for what you are describing. If I was to add salt, I would add it to the tank. It may help, but probably won't fix the problem. But it won't hurt either. I would add at least 4 tablespoons/10gal, and raise the heat a little bit, probably to 88F.
- I would observe the fish very well, with the specific purpose of ascertaining wether internal flagellates (Hexamita/Spironucleus) may be the problem, and if so treat with metronidazole and high heat (90's). I would combine the metro treatment with feeding metro flakes (that is, in the event that this is the route I decided to follow).
- It is possible that just adding salt to the tank for a few days, along with slightly increased heat may do the trick. I doubt it.

Good luck. Hopefully others will comment. Cheers, Francisco.

EthanCote.com
12-04-2002, 11:40 AM
Hi Todd,

Francisco have brought out some great points already. Just to append to his post a bit, if you have live plants in your tanks, becareful with salt treatment, since I have heard that certain plant species do not take well to it. So find out which plant species can and can not before salt treatment.

IMO: It is best to just separate the sick fish to its own tank for these reasons:
- cheaper to medicate
- won't kill plants if you have them
- prevent spread of disease

Having said that, it is most likely what ever flagellate is present in the sicked fish is probably in your healthy ones as well but since they are healthy the flagellates won't harm them or make them sicked until they are stressed.

So perhaps it is best to treat the whole lot. I still thinks its best to remove them to a small tank since medication will be costly in that huge tank of yours. Either that, lower your tank water level to save on medication.

Check out the poop of your discus see if they are solid (which means healthy) or white/stringy or yellowish (which are often sign of Hex and other internal disease).

U mentioned that it doesn't seems the gill is moving very much. I suggest you keep an eye on it. Is one gill totally closed? It could be gill flukes.

HTH.

Cheers,

Chi.