PDA

View Full Version : Starting with discus.

Rammstein
12-03-2002, 11:07 PM
I have become increasingly interested in getting discus again.I have had them a good # of years ago and I do have great books on them.Tank space I am worried about currently. I have a usable 55gall and 3 30gallon aquariums.Possibly a 2nd 55gall soon -crossen fingers- I have proper filtration and I have a RO & DI unit(for my bettas and plecos)I can also order a good range of plants from azgardens so thats not a bother.But what is is tankspace.Is this 1 55gall suitable to house 6 discus-1 strain only- from young till breeding age?Being the all possible I have a 2nd 55gallon would I be in even BETTER shape.Could the 3 30gallons be used for "pairs" and the 55's left for the unpaired fish?? Suggestions are and will be greatly appreciated.

DHDiscusMan
12-03-2002, 11:11 PM
People usually keep pairs in 30s so that shouldn't be an issue. As for the 55 for unpaired it depends on how many and how big. I think most plan for about 10 gal per adult fish. Also if you have two pairs in the two 30s and another 4+ adults in the 55 you are going to need a grow out tank for the fry.

I am not yet breeding but this is my understanding from things I have read here.

Please correct me on anything I'm wrong about.

Thanks, and welcome to Simply!

Dan

12-03-2002, 11:16 PM
6 fish in a 55 is no problem at all - no matter the age... I'd actually suggest getting anywhere up to 10 and pulling them as they pair off or sell them as they grow

Brad

Al_M.
12-03-2002, 11:34 PM
I agree with Brad.
I like to get around 12-14 small ones in a 55 then as they grow sell off the less desireable ones till I get down to the 6 or 8 best ones. If proper water changes are done 6 to 8 can be housed in a 55.
And after selling off the ones you don't want, the ones that you keep are almost paid for. ;D
Al M.

Rammstein
12-04-2002, 01:32 AM
10-14,ya if I can finance that :o :), and with discus I know id have to keep up with the water,thats common sense with discus now aint it?I have raised/bred/sold a many angelfish and they were TOTALLY easy fish for me,no problems at all! Love them and plannen on getten more as well.
I for right now would only have room for 1 strain '' pair '' group. 2 would be total suicide for me unless I sold ALL the other fish in my fishroom(15tanks). Should I get real small discus(nickel - quarter size)? Smaller the better to aclimate to my water,food,and ways of doing things,and it would give me time to get more tanks up for pairs later on.~hmm~ Well I wont rush into this,gotta have everything set up first I just wanted to know if it was at all possible to keep a group of 6 or more in a 55gall and I take it I can sooooo I will.Again Thanks!

DarkDiscus
12-04-2002, 09:40 AM
Rammstein,

I think the set up you have in mind sounds great. Get 6-8 fish for your 55 and grow them out with heavy w/c. As they pair off relocate any pairs to the 30 gallons. And that leaves room for your other fish in the 55. Sure. Sounds great! I also think that starting with one strain makes a great start. Pick one you really love though. Any good angel breeder should do well with discus with a few minor adjustments!

By they way, welcome to the site!

John

EthanCote.com
12-04-2002, 11:27 AM
Hi Ram,

Just to add my two cents.

In regard to purchase size, from my understanding, it is best to buy them at 2-2.5" size, if you are seeking for good quality Discus. At this stage, any deformities that will exist in the fish will be seen.

And I believe most quality breeder only sell them at about that size.

It is easy to acclimatize your Discus to your food and feeding schedule. Just feed them what the breeders feed them originally and slowly start to give them your own food as times goes by.

HTH. And welcome to Simply. :wave:

Cheers,

Chi.

PS: What sort of Angels are you breeding? Any black lace? ;D

Rammstein
12-04-2002, 02:56 PM
Is the Golden Panda Discus the Golden Pigeon Blood?I assume they are one in the same?I was first under the impression that many discus in a 55gall wouldnt work well b/c discus need space.Angelfish are 1 thing but discus require alill more space.But if u all feel its safe within boundaries I'll go for it.Personally I cant wait!I have bushynose plecos that would be mixed in with the discus.I probably wouldnt add any tetras to the tank. 8) :) :D

Pick
12-04-2002, 03:45 PM
Hi Ramstein, and welcome!

Yes the Golden Panda is "basically" a yellow pigeon blood. Daily water changes is the key healthy and "to their full potential" discus. Until they get edgy because of pairing off, 6 or 7 full grown discus in a 55 will be fine if you keep up with the W/C's. Keep the tank bare bottomed at least until they are full grown to enable you to keep the tank clean.

TC