PDA

View Full Version : Fry Growout Tank

Pick
12-04-2002, 12:51 PM
With a 100% daily drip, the customary daily bottom syphoning, and 2/week 50% Water change, how many 2" discus could be maintained in a 55G with a Hydro sponge and an AC500?

TC

Dennis_Hardenburge
12-04-2002, 03:51 PM
Terry
First I would have to ask are you dripping 50 gal a day, when you figure the mixing to get 100% from a drip you would need to drip about 86 gallons.
I am forced some times to crowd fish more than I want, but as long as you maintain the water quality I don't see a problem with 100 to 125 2 inch in the fifty.
Dennis

Pick
12-04-2002, 04:43 PM
Thanks Dennis,

Yes I just meant adding 100% not the 175% it would theoretically take - I know that adding 300% in 24 hours does not mean every molecule of water that was in the tank at the beginning of the drip will be gone by the end of the 24h. You answered my question though - thanks. By the way, been deep sea fishing lately? There's been some fine red snapper caught in the Gulf this fall.

TC

EthanCote.com
12-04-2002, 04:47 PM
Hey Dennis,

I'm curious, you said you sometimes house 100 to 125 2 inchers in a 50gallons. How long do you keep them there? If kept too long wouldn't it cause stunting?

Thanks.

Cheers,

Chi.

Dennis_Hardenburge
12-04-2002, 04:56 PM
Terry
I haven't been on the ocean for two years now, I do miss it, but we do run over to the coast to by fresh fish from friends.

Chi
When I crowd fish, the more I crowd them the more water I have dripping in the tank plus my dayly siphonoing the bottom and water change.
If you maintain water quality tight crowding does not hurt them and my fish are three inches at three months old.
I have had almost four hundred three inch fish in a 130 gallon, wall to wall fish, but besides my evening 50% water change I was dripping in fifteen gallons of new water an hour.
Dennis

EthanCote.com
12-04-2002, 05:31 PM
Thanks Dennis,

Beside the great water quality you need to maintain what about the space? Its just that I have heard many a times that suggest 10gallon/adult fish, anything less than this will result in stunting and stuffs.

So i'm curious in your situation, you say

"I have had almost four hundred three inch fish in a 130 gallon"

how long would you keep them in this tank? For a month or so?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Chi.

PS: I have a 75 gallon tank, how many fish say 3-4" can i cramp into that space and allow them to grow to adulthood safely?

Dennis_Hardenburge
12-04-2002, 06:05 PM
Chi
I am talking about raising fry to marketable size. I sell fry at three inches, and if water quality is maintained I fill they actually do better grow better if they are crowded.
I would not want to keep an extremely high fish density untill they were adults.
But as an example say you have a fifty gallon and put six verse eight or nine three inch fish in it to grow to adults if you maintain the water quality I will bet money the tank with the eight or nine fish would have the larger better growing fish in it.
The problem is most people especially people new to Discus are not willing to do massive water changes daily. High stocking levels and massive water changes are what promote fast growth. I am not saying fast growth is better than a little slower growth, I am just saying that to get fish to the size to sell them fast growth is desireable.
Dennis

EthanCote.com
12-04-2002, 06:18 PM
Thanks Dennis,

That is crystal clear as the water I would like to have. ;D

Why do you think constant water changes gives better growth? Could it be the continual addition of minineral/vitamines in the new water as well as the removal of unwanted waste and perhaps that GIH (growth inhibiting hormones?)

Just a thot.

Is it better to do two WC per day or will one WC per day do? I do want my fish to grow faster not to sell but to breed. Can't wait for babies. Just love to watch them with their parents.

Cheers,

Chi.

Sean
12-06-2002, 11:47 AM
Hey Dennis,

how did you come up with the 86 for 50 rule?

Just curious,

Sean.