PDA

View Full Version : White Crate Dividers from Home Depot

Barb Newell
12-06-2002, 10:32 PM
Hi, does anyone know how to cut the white crate from Home Depot that can be used as a tank divider. I asked the sales people, they said not to cut it.

Barb

12-06-2002, 10:40 PM
i used a pair of scissors....just cut one cross-piece at a time...it snaps the piece and usually leaves a bit left so i just snap the extra bit off with pliers...it'll snap off flush with the edge if you're careful...

Denny
12-06-2002, 10:43 PM
if you have the following i would use them:

table saw
jig saw
hand saw with fine teeth
bandsaw
high power dr. evil brand laser

do you remember on sesame street when they did the "which of these things belong together?" bit?

denny

Ryan
12-06-2002, 10:48 PM
I used regular scissors. The plastic is brittle and tends to crack and crumble as you're cutting the cross-sections. I cut it to about the same width as my tanks, then wedge it in place. I don't use suction cups or anything. Like David said, after you've cut the piece you need, you can go back and do "detail work" by trimming the untidy edges.

Ryan

Barb Newell
12-06-2002, 10:51 PM
Thanks, I'll give it a shot. You don't have to put sponge or anything to hold it in place?

Barb

12-06-2002, 10:52 PM
here's a picture(i'm so anal sometimes...hahaha)

the arrows are pointing at what's left over after cutting with scissors, and i just grab the little remaining bits with pliers and gently twist them off...

i cut some as a divider for my 50 gallon and lucked out....it was ever so slightly wider than the tank, so i put it in at a slight angle and then slowly straightened it til it was wedged in there...or you could cut it a bit smaller and use sponge...

Lynn
12-07-2002, 02:02 AM
I used wire-cutters, worked great!
Just place the flat edge against the cross-sections and snip!
Start bigger, and work your way down to the right size!

Dennis_Hardenburge
12-07-2002, 02:21 AM
Have to admit I have one made for every tank I own.
I use wire cutters or tin snips, and the thick rubber washers for hose ends between the divider and the tank to hold it in place.
Dennis

12-07-2002, 02:54 PM
No cutter, take a steel scale snap it along one of the crates all the way down... make sure to sweep the small pieces that fall off... they really do hurt when you step on them.....

12-07-2002, 04:15 PM
dikes to cut.
fine sand paper to smooth it out so that you won't have scarred and one-eyed fish.

Good Luck

korbi_doc
12-07-2002, 07:40 PM
:bounce2: :bounce2: Hi, don'tcha have a Dremel?? Great tool, trims dog toe nails, bird's beaks, smooths wood trim, etc. Used mine to cut the white crate material, then sanded the edges with it, worked great & didn't leave any sharp pointed edges.... just a thought!! Dottie ;D ;D

Barb Newell
12-08-2002, 12:01 AM
I have dog nail clippers, they'll work!!! I won't use them on my dog because the last time I did I cut a little too deep. Had to make an emergency visit to the vet.

Thanks all, great ideas. I'll let you know how they turn out --- 'one eyed fish LOL' ;D

Barb

Discus Don
12-08-2002, 12:09 AM
Okay, I'll bite.....

Aside from the obvious value of being able to separate fish within a single tank and use common water, filtration, etc., is there a specific purpose for using this stuff with/for discus? Since so many of you use it, it must be of significant value.

Any insights provided are appreciated!

-Don

Lynn
12-08-2002, 02:35 AM
Hi Don,
Welcome to Simply!

The egg crates make good dividers...you can cut to fit whatever size tank you have. The main reason is to separate fish in the same tank....you may have a new pair that you are not ready to move yet..or for keeping the really grouchy guys away from the others.
The dividers sold specifically for aquariums are marked up too much on the price. In the neighborhood of $20.
A peice of $8 egg crate can make dividers for 2-3 tanks.
So this is just a cheap alternative! The saved $$ can be put towards fish,titanium heaters, RO units, more tanks...you get the point! ;D
Lynn

RichieE
12-09-2002, 12:32 PM
I cut with a sabre saw and then file down the nubs. Rich

Discus Don
12-10-2002, 12:52 AM
Thanks for the welcome, Lynn.... I've been lurking for a while, and thought it was about time to get vocal. I was afraid I was missing some secret application for the crate, but I get the point. I'm always up for saving money (just so I can spend it on something I want, that is!).

-Don

samcatj
12-10-2002, 08:07 AM
I have used large wire cutters that are designed to make a clean, flush cut and leave no sharp points. Most large hardware stores sell them or if not large bird supply houses carry them for bird fanciers who make there own cages. Also I have gone to lighting speciality shops as they sell the egg crate for ceiling lights in many different sizes. It is likely that you can find a size that you will not have to cut.
Good luck !

Samcatj

roger
12-10-2002, 02:47 PM
I found that a pair of wire cutters does a nice job. The plastic is brittle and the average cheapo wire cutter doesnt have any problems with it. I ended up with a nice clean and non bent piece to put in the tanks. It just takes a little patience to finish it up.

Peace
Roger