PDA

View Full Version : Virginia Discus Club?

prew62
12-07-2002, 07:26 PM
Any organized Virginia Discus Breeders / hobbyists out there?

Prewitt Scripps

12-07-2002, 10:11 PM
Hi, not many of us. I am down in the Virginia Beach area
Randy

jsojda
12-12-2002, 04:29 PM
I am located in Richmond, VA

12-12-2002, 04:38 PM
Hey thats 3 people......Gee and there are only 7 million people in this state ??? ??? ???
Randy

prew62
12-13-2002, 04:22 PM
Perhaps Virginia needs another forum than Simply Discus. Is there a Richmond Aquarium Group? How about NoVa? Okay the #*$@ with Virginia. Is there an American Discus Hobbyists Society out there? Hey I think I'm on to something!

jsojda
12-13-2002, 04:46 PM
Nothing i really know of in or around Richmond.

FenderPbass
01-23-2003, 12:03 AM
I' m in Lynchburg, VA, i don't know of any discus people, of course I am just getting started...

clownalex
01-25-2003, 03:22 PM
Hi folks I live in Fredericksburg, VA and at the moment 6 one year old Discus have me as there caregiver. One pair just started spawning but at this time the male just watches the eggs intently but has not fertilized them. Anyone have any videos or centerfolds I can show him? Or maybe he is a lesbian! :o Come to think of it I like women too! ;)Would love to hear from anyone in my area and trade ideas experiences and or take our Discus for walks together. ;D Alex Petrovics clownalex@att.net 540-972-0089

01-25-2003, 05:40 PM
WOW!!!!!! This is turning out to be pretty good......Ok party at my house, everyone is invited ;D ;D ;D

Randy

jsojda
01-28-2003, 05:45 PM
Were getting there guys. Now we just need to find a few more people. Maybe we could get Joe from enchanted discus to come down and give a talk!

FenderPbass
01-28-2003, 10:36 PM
you know i would love to say i own discus, but the two (1 and half inch) discus i owned, got a killer case of fin rot??? i tried everything to cure them, put them into a hospital tank, and the fin rot would not go away???!!!! Then the fungus started popping up on the body and every treatment i tried didn't work..... and sadly to say they died :-[. I'm gonna get some bigger ones.... there's this one (roughly 5 inches) at the petstore that like i dunno, you kno how you see a fish and it sees you and its like an instant bond? (maybe i m just weird but oh well), so i'm gonna buy him thursday (payday ::)). I have everything set up for him/her, no ammonia, no nitrite, ph 6.8, established 55 gallon tank :). I'll buy him a buddy off the internet since the others didn't even look at me but anywayz, im rambling so, see guys later....

01-29-2003, 02:59 AM
Fender, Sounds like to me you had an advanced case of Hexamita. Joe :(

Josh,
You guys should start either a cichlid club or general aquarium society to hope to get some members. :)

FenderPbass
01-29-2003, 10:27 AM
Is there treatment for Hexamita? I tried using maracyn I and II, fungicide tablets (Jungle Tank Buddys), Copper safe, and then methan(sp) blue, I also treated with a salt bath, dont worry not all at the same time .... Maybe I was just treating for the wrong things, if you could tell me what treats it, I would really appreciate so i would know how to treat next time..

01-29-2003, 02:57 PM
fenderP--Is this the new sickness/disease section? Well, metronidazole along with increased aeration, heat up to 92-93 degrees for seven days . Thereafter daily water changes and then frequent water changes. How advanced is the disease? See any pinholes around the facial area?? White feces?

Joe :(

FenderPbass
01-29-2003, 03:42 PM
No i guess it's not the new disease/sickness section, i was just asking a question, there's no need to get an attitude. It's too late now because the fish already passed away....

02-06-2003, 02:16 AM
fender, Sorry to hear--I did not get an attitude---only kidding--sorry you took it that way! Take Care, Joe :-[

dippyduck
02-11-2003, 08:49 PM
I'm new to this new wolrd of discus and very happy to have found such a great group that is willing to share their experiences. I live in Midlothian. I have kept aquariums for years. I just acquired 6 discus from enhanteddiscus.com. Joe is a really good guy. ;D Anybody that is interested in getting some discus, we can make a quick road trip to handpick some from Joe. He is just outside of Alexandria, VA. which took me about 2 - 2.5 hours to drive.

discuswannabe
02-17-2003, 02:15 PM
Hi, also in Va, in Staunton, west of Charlottesville. I don't have any discus yet but have them on hold with the seller because of our cold weather. Hope Spring is early! Meanwhile I'm reading everything I can and starting to get my tank ready. Donna

clownalex
02-17-2003, 05:51 PM
Welcome Donna to the wonderful world of discus. :wave: With a lot of patience and perseverance discus will not disappoint you. My first pair to mate, finally got fertilized eggs after six spawns, should be free swimming within the next 24hrs and I cant wait to see what happens next. Even if you just want to just keep Discus and not breed, there a hoot just the same, Enjoj the ride. :balloon: :juggle: :balloon:

discuswannabe
02-19-2003, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the Welcome.
If I have them I definitely want to breed them. I have angelfish and I get so excited every time they spawn. The fish that are on hold are four 5 inch turquoise. So I hope they are ready to do their stuff! I'm just having a few stomach pains wondering if I'm taking a big chance of killing these beauties. I've read a lot of good information here on Simply and have gotten some good replies from my questions. Donna

jsojda
02-19-2003, 03:04 PM
Were getting there. If anyone wants to talk discus i also work part time at Fin & Feather Pet Center in Richmond. Stop bye!

Dippy Duck i think i have talked to you before! How are the fish?

trucn
06-11-2003, 10:23 AM
I live in Northern Virginia too. It is a great idea to meet with each other and talk about disus. Why do not we come up with the time and place. If there are a lot of people want to attend, we can go ahead and do "ours wish". What do you guys think?

Fishpoop
06-26-2003, 05:44 AM
hi all, i live in Richmond VA as well. I have 4 discus, for about 2 months now. jsojda, i go to Fin and Feather all the time to buy fish stuff! But i got two of my discus as Azaelia aquarium.

Fishpoop
06-26-2003, 05:50 AM
it seems like there are enough people to start a discus/aquarium club in Richmond Va. im willing to host a meeting in my fish house ( well my wife will have to ok it first ;D)

chinoz
08-08-2003, 03:25 PM
I live in Maryaland, 30 min from VA, and curently got about 18 discus in a 75 gal tank :o :o :o

Puglet2_99
08-25-2003, 09:06 PM
Hi All

My name is Sabrina, I go by Puglet2. I am new to the discus world, I have 8 now, including a tangerine Pearl, a red dragon, 2 blue diamonds, 2 SRT's and a couple misc reds/blues. I have a 150 gal and a 37 gal community set up. I am just a hobbist, my guys are too young for breeding just yet.

I live in Suffolk VA (virginia beach area) and I would LOVE to get together with some other discus fanatics. I am also looking to purchase some more discus and I am looking for either a local hobbyist/breeder or for someone to combine orders with as to save on shipping. Email me at Puglet2@charter.net if interested or if you know of someone who has some discus to sell around here. I will also be going to the NASCAR race in Richmond VA on September 6th/7th, so if there is anybody up that way?

This forum looks really great and so many members! Awesome! I hope to learn a lot!

-Puglet2

08-26-2003, 10:11 AM
Hi Sabrina, welcome to the forum. I am in Virginia Beach. I dont really have much for sale right now except a few red turks. Joe (enchanted discus) will be your closest importer. He is just east of DC. He has around a 1000 discus in stock at any time...

Randy

Puglet2_99
08-26-2003, 11:40 AM
Hi Randy, thanks for the welcome! I have learned so much already, lots of great links & threads.

Nice to see I am not the only Discus nutt in the area. Are you a breeder-hobbist? I am actually looking for a couple turks and some yellows. I really like the turks for some reason and I don't have any yellows/golds.

If you ever order any discus let me know, we can share shipping costs. I will be sure to check out Enchanted, thanks.

I will be up in Richmond next weekend, think I saw a few people on here that were from Richmond. If anyone needs a transport from here to there, let me know :)

Thanks again for the wonderful welcome :)

Sabrina
AKA Puglet2

ariodpalm
06-26-2013, 10:11 AM
Hello All,

I know no one has reply to this in a while but just got back into discus and wanted to see who might still be out there in the Fredericksburg, Stafford, Woodbridge, and Alexandria area? I am in the Fredericksburg area and was looking to see who is near, maybe we could share cost on shipping?

Loc