PDA

View Full Version : Discus Essential and other Addititives

DHDiscusMan
12-07-2002, 10:38 PM
When I first started with discus, before I found this board, I was not doing nearly the water changes I am today. Probably 25% a week if that. Another thing I'm not doing now, that I was before, is using Discus Essential additive. Also additives like Blackwater Extract (Tetra) and others.

Can anyone tell me what I should be using besides a Dechlor? I have seen here that consensus is not to try to change Ph unless it's horible which mine is not. At this point I'm changing about 50% per day and only dechlorinating.

Thanks for your advice.

Dan

fcdiscus
12-07-2002, 11:50 PM
You are doing just fine Dan. You can add some of the Discus essential on a bi-weekly schedule if you want. It is a good product. The Black Water Extract gets scooped up by sponges, and with the amount of water you change, it is a waste. I doubt it really does anything but darken the water anyway. Frank

Ralph
12-08-2002, 05:45 PM
It is likely that most if not all of the minerals in Discus Essential is already in your water (if your water is from a city or water company, they can give you a water analysis). The Discus Essential is very important though for anyone using only RO water.
I've never seen any proof that discus require tannins (I don't know of any breeders that use the stuff) and the B vitamins in the extract, the discus can obtain those from their food. And like Frank said, you are just throwing it away with your WCs.

12-08-2002, 07:17 PM
I put Discus Essential in my food and in my water (i use RO) and i really feel like it is a great product. You can buy a 64 oz. container on the web for around $20, so it's not too expensive either.

Brad

dm
12-08-2002, 10:02 PM
I think Ralph hit the nail on the head. If you use only R/O water you need to put something back in but if you already have the trace elements in your water it might not do you much good.

12-09-2002, 11:56 AM
if you use RO water though, you CANNOT only put back in Discus Essential, as it doesn't have a lot of the minerals needed in larger quantities. It mainly has minerals not found in things like RO Right and that stuff.

Jeff
12-09-2002, 12:41 PM
I agree brad. I also use RO Right.

12-09-2002, 12:44 PM
Jeff...I use Calcium Carbonate, baking soda, and Epsom salt to get my water to the GH and KH that I want it at. It's much cheaper to use that stuff and it's the exact same minerals. I can give you some general guidlines if you want.

Jeff
12-09-2002, 01:06 PM
Sure, that would be great.

12-09-2002, 05:03 PM
1/2 teaspoon of Calcium Carbonate will raise KH and GH 1 degree in 15 gallons of water

1/4 teaspoon of Baking Soda will raise KH 1 degree in 15 gallons

1 Tablespoon of Epson Salt raises GH in 50 gallons

these are just approximations...so try them in a storage barrel or something first to make sure you get it right. I just know how much to add to my certain barrel after each WC to get the water params right for the next WC.

HTH
brad

Oh....and you can order Calcium Carbonate from your local Rx if you didn't know...it's pretty cheap too

Ralph
12-09-2002, 08:32 PM
Discus Essential is definately a trace element additive, it is actually marketed that way.

12-09-2002, 09:16 PM
yes, but if you read the label it says,

"If using RO water, RO Right must first be used to add major and minor minerals removed during the purification process to create artificial water. Discus Essential should then be added to replace trace minerals lost due to absorption of carbon resins, plants, and fish."

So while it is Trace elements in a sense, i don't think it's the trace elements you were referring to.
HTH
brad

Jeff
12-09-2002, 09:19 PM
Hey thanks Brad.

dm
12-09-2002, 09:58 PM
I just mix mine with tap water. It is cheaper and everyone seems happy. :D

12-09-2002, 10:49 PM
dm,
That works, but I have RO for my pair and figure i may as well use it for my growout...although i do run the RO waste to a barrel and use it on them.