PDA

View Full Version : A question about pairs in community tank?

roger
12-08-2002, 09:31 PM
I got my discus about 2-1/2 to 3 months ago with all the fish being 3" plus or minus about 1/2 and inch. At about 6 weeks the 2 largest fish paired off and laid eggs on a clay pot. A few days later all the eggs where gone so I moved the rest of the fish into the new 55. Since then that 1st pair hasnt even looked remotely interested in each other (I suspect that they may be 2 females). While in the 55 that has 4 fish in it I have 2 fish that paired off and in a space of 3 weeks have laid eggs 4 seperate times. Darn fish are using the filter pipe at the moment.

What Im curious about is how strong a pair bonding do discus tend to have?
Will the pair that I have now ever break up if I leave them alone?
If I move the other 2 fish back in would that do it?

Peace,
Roger

12-08-2002, 09:39 PM
Ive never found "pair bonding" to be that strong at all...IF at all. Ive always moved fish around as I saw fit and never had a problem....unless it was a problem fish. They all seem to have thier own unique personalities.

Tony

jjgallow
12-13-2002, 06:33 PM
I read somewhere on here that to induce spawning, it helps to have a third fish with the pair that they can compete with.

Maybe they're not jealous enough? hehe. ::)

Also how would moving all those fish out affect the water chemistry? I'm starting to notice with my fish that the number of fish and the amount I feed them significantly affects the ph. Maybe with just the two fish the ph does not drop enough? Wild guess.

good luck!